The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Again, I am fairly new to the site (this is my second week). I have not planned to be on the site each day, but this is winter break and I am home for another week and a half. So, as I get adjusted to my new meds, I am really take advantage of this time to thoroughly read the site.

There were to curiousities I had coming on:

1. How many of the people were my age (40 +)
2. How many of the women are Single...

The second curiousity is primarily due to the challenges that Single women tend to have dealing with chronic illness. I am a divorcee (12 years), so I have experienced both worlds. When I am experiencing a serious flare, I cannot help but refer to the times when my "Ex" would take care of me. Now, even when I look like "death warmed over..." I have to still get up and get out! The other day when I had to pick up my prescirption, but my body was in so much pain: I was cold and just did not feel like putting on clothes, combing my hair (which is falling out and I just couldn't deal with it), I wished someone could have been here to assist me (by the way, I went in my pajama pants :lol: ).

Those of you who are also Single, do you have days during flares that you really long for companionship? I read one woman who said that she had been crying because she missed her husband who was away on a little leisurely trip (that she paid for), and I could not help but say to myself: "But atleast he's coming back--God willing..."

Those who suffer from Raynaud's Phenomena and are Single could relate to wanting to possibly "Spoon" or "Rub Feet" with a significant other to help generate some extra needed heat...

Or those days when you are hungry and too exhausted to cook, so you decide to "order out" only to realize that your purse is empty:worried:

What about when the depression sets in, and you can't call your family and/or friends because you don't feel like "whining" and they wouldn't understand even if you did--who do you call on? :umm:

Do you find yourself concerned sometimes, wondering what will happen if you should have seizure while alone, or possibly fall or faint...:faint:

I have learned throughout the years of "Living Single" to really Trust... and allow my circumstances to create a greater and more concrete Faith.

Holler Back!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've always lived alone. Sometimes I wondered what it would be like to have a significant other. I've been very lucky for a couple of years in that I have a couple of friends that I've been able to call on a few times to run to the grocery store for me when I really felt bad. But now they are not doing so well in general so I don't feel I can do that anymore - not that I've done it more than 5 times all together.

With no brothers or sisters and both parents dead I've just gotten used to dealing. I went through a time period for a few years where I wanted someone to take care of me but now I'm over it and I'm starting to make the plans I need to make sure (I hope) that I can take care of myself as time goes on. One of my cats does a pretty good job of warming my feet at night. :) And I have another that likes to curl up around one of my hands if I'm laying a certain way - so I'm grateful for what I have.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SFL: Response to Jirel

I am so glad you responded, Jirel:

I was content seven years after my divorce, but when things started getting overwhelmingly difficult, I began to desire "Help." I don't like to burden others, and although I have sisters, we are all scattered in different States throughout the US, as well as my parents who are getting older now, and dealing with their own maladies.

I know that Lupus can be lonely, but with no physical support, it makes it even the more. I look forward to getting to that place where you are, if such is my fate. I just don't like being sick alone, and I believe by faith, that it won't be like this always (I will hold on to this, in spite of circumstance).

Thanks again.

FYI: SLE pending with other auto-immune/ currently tx for SLE (Plaquenil)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts