The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMK160lDu0

The poney in question is my stallion with his new rider (I had to sell him after my divorce and I'm glad I did as I couldn't have ever ridden him again due to my lupus).

I had trained him up to starting piaffé and although his new rider doesn't have that experience I am so proud of him (and her for loving him as much as she does).

When I bought him he had been severely beaten and had been tied up for two years in a stall so tight that he had no hair left on his flanks or buttocks. He was so thin he couldn't walk straight BUT he trotted straight and went on to become a great guy, a truly noble and genuine poney that you could put a three year old on (and yet he wasn't an easy ride for an experienced rider).

Nothing to do with lupus, but thought it might bring a smile to your day...

Katharine

·
4,435 Posts
hey its lydia claires daughter

your horse is SO gorgeous!! wish he was mine but it took 14 years for me to get a dog so im thinking a horse could be pushing it haha :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow Katherine!!!!

That was just so beautiful and so elegant.
The way she sits on the horse as if they are part of each other.

The loose hair of the woman and the horses tail looked just right and made it look elegant and not stuffy.

How on earth do you get a horse to do that?? Really . It baffles me as even though Im not a horsey person:wink2: it looks as if he loves it.

Im dead impressed with that you must be really proud of him.

Good story:)

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
AW awesome! That is awesome! I am a horsey person! I am working on teaching my pony piaffe but she's a bit of a ... a... ... well, a pony. Maybe I'll get a video of her over spring break and show you...She's much less fancy but she's cute :p

·
11,408 Posts
Hi Katharine,

What a beautiful horse.

You gave him the love and patience that he needed after being abused. Out of your love for him he turned into a wonderful horse.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
He found a great home and that's the most important thing. What a lucky horse that you found him and took great care of him... Thanks for sharing that!

I sold the hunter/jumper geldings I had raised and trained and they went to superb homes too. They were 17 and 17.2 hands tall, and I became unable to ride them. They needed a home where they'd be ridden instead of put out to pasture too.

Now I drive miniature horses. You could give that a try too - it's a great way to get that horsey fix without the wear and tear on the body. ;) Well, at least until it's teeth floating time. Then there is some wear and tear on the body as I have to assist the vet! Just got done with that and thankfully my husband helped me out ;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
He is gorgeous Katharine. Now, you would never imagine what he went thru. The road to recovery is not short. My first mare was a rescue as well. She was 17.1 hands and had a heart as big as she was.
Thanks for sharing.
Sally

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, he is gorgeous and really you can't see the half of it on the video.

When I still had him he had become my right hand man. I rode him myself of course but could also use him for bareback voltige to get people used to relaxing etc. He was also accepted to cover mares in Luxembourg and Belgium (still is actually as it was for life) and won first prize for stallions of four years and over when he was shown in Belgium. The judge liked him because he was clearly sane and he could see that he didn't live like a barbie doll but went out in the field. He is so good he can be in a field next to mares and it's the mares that break the fences to come and see him. He prefers to be next to mares at shows so is always boxed next to a lady then he stays very polite :)

I don't usually think about it too much. I had him for 11 years and he's the only horse my Irish horse dealer's heart didn't want to sell. I don't have the room for horses any more (no fields) and coudn't afford it anyway so try not to go there with my mind. Recently I did help a friend's daughter with her competition horse who was rather young, unruly and frankly dangerous. I was able to help her without actually riding him (she did that) so that was good.

If I were physically able I could ride whenever I want (lots of friends) but unless I actually "work" a horse and have that special relationship, it just wouldn't be the same.

Maybe one day but things would have to change pretty miraculously health-wise!

Katharine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts