The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has just left hospital after an 8 week stay. Her medication ran out the other day and it cost £42 to replace all the pills (1 months worth). Does anyone know if we can claim free prescriptions?

VMT
Tony

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi I presume you are in the UK
There is a list of conditions that entitle you to free prescriptions on the NHS website.
However Lupus isn't one of them for some reason.
I use a prepayment card costing less than £100 which is a saving if you are on a few meds. A lot of GP's won't prescribe more than a couple of months worth of pills at one time which of course proves to be expensive
Good luck to you both

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Tony do you live in the uk if you are on income support then you dont pay for them or if you are on a pension like pension credits or are over 60years of age or have a valid war pension or get jobseekers Allowance.I am reading of the back of my Prescription form.Hope this helps let us know how you get on Elisabeth

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Tony,

If youre in UK and got some sort of receipt for these meds you can still get the money back after paying the the pre-paid certificate! A good chemist should be able to advise you! I would go back to your chemist and ask them what you should do and what form you should fill in for a rebate if entitled!

Just got my renewal form and its going to cost 102.50 for the next year in England!!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
It is a terrible amount of money. I can remember when the children were small, we didn't qualify for them free, but had a few pence above the qualifying income. It was a terrible struggle.
x Lola

·
Banned
808 Posts
This might be helpfull to you.

http://www.ppa.org.uk/index_noflash.htm

There are links to what qualifys for exemption or how to apply for a prepayment certificate.

If you aren't eligible for exemption you can apply for a prepayment online, but to recoup what you paid, from what I remember you will need a receipt claim form from chemist, and you would need to have your prepayment start from the date you paid for the prescriptions.

Hope your wife is doing better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.