TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been requested to complete a Functional Capacity Test for my Social Security appeal. Can anyone tell me what this is and what I should expect? Also, would there be a charge for this test, and if so, would my medical insurance pick this up??

Thank you,

Susan

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Susan,

I didn't have a Functional Capacity Test but did have to fill out a functional capacity form. Actually my doctor had to fill it out. I believe that the form is the reason I was approved for SSDI. If indeed it is a doctor who will be filling this out for you ask to be present to help him understand your daily life. There were many things like how many pounds I could lift and carry. I don't remember the other specifics as it has been almost 4 years since I did that.

Have they given you an appointment for this? I have no idea what the difference is between a "test" and the form that was filled out for me. There are never charges for any tests/exams that Social Security sends you for.

Let us know what happens.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Susan:

If they order a test, they must pay for it. However if I were you I would google RFC or Residual Functionality Capacity (Ithink I have it in the right order). This way you can see the form before it is completed...They may have you go to their Dr for this.

My Lawyer is having my Dr fill one out for me.

Stephanie

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Susan,

I have not personally had to go for a RFC but I do know that you do not have to pay but you must see the doctor that they send you to. I would search this site for people that who have been through the process.

Best of luck
Elaine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Susan,

I have had to fill out functional capacity forms in the past. I was even sent to one of Social Security's doctors for evaluation. I have been denied 3 times, the last was at the hearing with a judge. I even took my boyfriend with to give a statement and they wouldn't take it.

I have had 3 hearts attacks, stents placed twice, triple bypass surgery, have lupus, sjogrens disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pulmonary hypertension, mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation, thyroid problems, type II diabetes. My echocardiogram recently showed my heart is beating 55 - 60% and the two valves are leaking mild to moderately but they feel I am stable. With all of this, I don't see why I'm not qualified for SSDI. Should I be dead first?

My lawyer just filed another appeal and started a new claim as they feel there are times people get approved faster by starting a new one. Good luck to you but I keep hearing that it's getting harder and harder to get approved yet people with carpal tunnel get approved immediately. I don't understand.

Lori

1 - 5 of 5 Posts