The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. My disablity insurance carrier, Cigna, is reviewing my claim. I have been on long term disability for 2 years. They are requesting that I take a Functional Assessment test. I have no problem taking the test, but the only place is 25 miles away (one way) and they are insisting on a 9:00 am appointment time. That would mean I would need to leave the house at 6:30 am (because of Southern CA traffic) to be there on time. My worst pain time is in the morning. I have trouble seeing and driving for long periods of time. I also try to make doctor's appointments between 10 and 2 pm because that is my best window.

They are not being accommadating in appointment time (I requested 10 instead of 9) or location. They said they will need to review my request. I stated if they could provide transportation I would be able to attend at 9.

My questions are: can they stop paying me because of this issue, and what is a functional capacity test.

Thank you,

Susan

·
Registered
87 Posts
"A Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is a comprehensive battery of performance based tests that is used commonly to determine ability for work, activities of daily living, or leisure activities"

Just some web site I found defined it as such but don't know what types of tests it is made of. I assume someone will come by and will have first hand knowledge though.

good luck.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Susan,

You should make every effort possible to make it to the test. Insurance companies are always looking for reasons to deny payment.

I don't know when your test is, but you might try what I do before I travel across country. Try going to bed an hour earlier for two or three nights, then up it an hour earlier again. Correspondingly get up an hour earlier also. Getting your body on an earlier schedule might help on test day.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Susan,

I had this test done not for disability purposes but instead for a lawsuit I filed due to a injury I sustained while I was working. It really is a assessment to see exactly what you can and cant do. Unless you are able to go in there and set the world on fire I doubt that they will cancel your benefits.

Like Lazylegs said, make every effort to get to the appointment because insurance companies will hold this against you if you don't go.

My test lasted about 4 hours but this does not mean yours will. They had me do everything in that test from putting nuts on bolts to asking me to push 150lbs of weights across the floor.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did what I could and the rest I told them sorry but no can do!!!

Don't sweat the test just go and do what your capable of doing. Good luck and let us know how you make out.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
This may sound a bit on the down side, but the worse you do on this the more you prove your disability. By being lower functioning at that hour of the morning, you are showing that your disability is total and continuing. [I processed health insurance claims and also evaluated independent exam results]

When my employer asked me to go thru a vocational assessment, I like you, was not pleased with the hour. It worked in my favor tho, and the evaluator was very understanding about the limits I faced. I had done a GATB assessment for a career exploration class I took a few years before my lupus blew up, and having that to evaluate and compare with the one I took with the Voc program, made a huge determination in my favor. The end result was that I could not be expected to return to any gainful employment.
So, go thru it, be in pain, and they will see that your body is not willing to let you return to any employment and it proves your disability. I'm sorry that this is the way of disability for now.
Sally

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Hi, I haven't much to add except I would travel the nite before and sleep over if it were me....I know it may not be a great idea but if yr anyhting like me you will take weeks to get over the early rise

:hug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.