The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hope you are all as well as can be expected.This is a new one for me i have been having problems with double vision.Now when i try to read or watch tv l have to close one eye so that i can see when one gets tiered i have to close the other one has anyone else had this problem we are just back from holiday and dont want to go to the doctor just after coming home
If anyone else has this problem will they please let me know Thank You
Elisabeth
ps this only happens when i liedown

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
Hi Elisabeth,

I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Any vision change should be checked out by a doctor, especially if you are taking Plaquenil. It may not be anything serious but it would be better to be on the safe side.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Elisabeth,

Welcome back from your holidays.

I agree with Lazylegs, you should go see your omphthalmologist to be on the safe side.

I just went to mine not to long ago as I was having problems with my eyes. He said it was good for me to come in, because I have so much going on with my lupus, you never know.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Double vision

Hi, I had this problem last summer and it was this symptom that led me to being diagnosed with SLE. My right eye was swollen for 9 weeks :eek: which eventually led to double vision, I was put on a high dose of pred. I have since been told on several occassions by the eye consultant (who is from Moorfields eye hospital so I guess he has seen it before) that Lupus can affect the muscles in my eyes even though there is no swelling anymore. They are keeping a close 'eye' on this problem for me. I would definitely go and see a doctor, sight is too precious to lose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Liz,
I havent had the double vision. But had bad migraine other week, only ever had one other in lifetime but was sick also this time it wasnt good.
I have just had my eyes tested this week at opticians (usual every 2 years), but told him about my lupus diagnosis etc. I told him I have daily eyeball ache/pain and have had floaters for well over 15 years. I said maybe as we have muscles all over even your eye muscles may ache ! didnt get much change LOL but thats my own theory. everything was fine, but he has done a baseline picture as a starting guide as from now, I have to go back in 6-months time. I had a picture taken of the back of both eyes to check for retina etc ! he said with drugs you have to take sometimes your eyes can be affected/side effects.
my floaters seem bit worse, but I try ignore them, isnt easy though.
I think you should make an appointment at the opticians, go make it !! Atleast they can do a thorough eye check-up, and maybe even go doctors, dont worry bout if we all feel we visit them too much, we have to do the best to look after ourselves.
take care, love and hugs
diane X

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I will echo what everyone else has said and make the eye doctor appointment to be on the safe side. Don't mess with the eyes.

I have nystagmus, vision loss, double vision and visual hallucinations too. Lots of fun let me tell ya!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I have lesions on my optic nerve pathway and this is part of the problem. The other issues are blamed on migraines but you must go and get it checked.

Good luck and let us know how you make out lis.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've had double vision most of my life. It has gotten worse again in the last 6 months, but the visit to the neurologist led her to say that it was not anything dangerous happening.

Seeing your opthamologist would be a good idea if this is either a new symptom or a worsening symptom.
Sally

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Elizabeth

Have you recently started on Plaquenil again? If so it just might be a short term effect of the Plaquenil although odd that it happens just when you are lying down

I can't quite understand your reluctance to bother the doctor if that's what you mean, but of course it is depressing to need to go straight after a good holiday, too much like ' back to routine' :sad: with a vengeance.

You could always get your eyes examined at optometrist? Then see the GP who can refer you if need be. Then a three month (?) wait to see ophthalmo unless it is truly urgent. We have a 24/7 emergency ophthalmo not too far away. but we need a referral for that too. I got referred there from my local hospital having gone to ER on NHS Direct advice having developed 'floaters' one Boxing Day. A wonderful way to spend Boxing Day but I wasn't going to take the risk.

Let us know how you get on and good luck

Clare

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hello elisabeth, I hope you had a lovely holiday. How are you doing? Have you been to a doc? I hope you have got things sorted.

Take care

Deb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.