The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I saw the surgeon today about my endoscopy I had a couple weeks ago. Mixed news................

Apparently there was a ? on the esonophilic esophagitis and the biopsy has come back saying I don't have it :) He did see esonophils but you can have some of those with reflux - when there is a certain count of them they diagnose EE. My count was under that :thumbs: He said the treatment would have been inhaled steroids much like they use for asthma and I'm already on them anyway.

My small hiatal hernia is of the sliding type he said, so it isn't causing the reflux and to be honest I never considered reflux much of a problem!

The reason for having the endoscopy in the first place was difficulty swallowing. At first it was just solids, now it's liquids as well sometimes. He said the fact that it's now both and also his findings on endoscopy he feels that it's more to do with my CNS Lupus :eek: :( At the moment it's not constant and I hope it doesn't become that way............hopefully it won't. If it did then they would have to treat my Lupus more aggressively.

So a mixed bag but at least we found the cause through elimination :wink2:

Thanks for all your support in the last couple weeks.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Lily,

I am glad you have some answers. I also hope your problems swallowing do not become worse. Hopefully, it is a temporary problem and will not become worse.

I want to tell you, I am very sorry to hear your having so many problems with your health lately Lily.:( I will hope and pray that you begin to feel better soon friend..

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Lily :hug:

As you say very mixed news. I'm not sure which cause is worse and I certainly hope it doesn't get any worse or more permanent :(

It seems you been having a lot of bad patches lately, maybe it's all linked to general flaring?

Katharine

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Lily, mixed news indeed. :hug:

I am sorry your lupus is causing so many probs, I hope they can keep it under control before your flares become more problematic.

Thinking of you

Deb x

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
It sounds like he is diagnosing Dysphagia then. That would go along with some of your other brain nerve muscle connection issues. I hope things calm down and you won't need any further treatment.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi just wanted to wish u well and say hope for u swallowing becomes easier sound so uncomfy.

lv countrylass

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Lily,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Very scary.

I had difficulty swallowing at times last year, both solids and liquids. It coincided with a flare of a host of symptoms throughout my body. The swallowing problems cleared up even though many other symptoms have not. They never did determine a cause but all believe it was CNS related because everything else had been ruled out. The only drug I was on when the swallowing problems ceased was hydrocodone. And, whenever I tried to cut back on the hydrocodone (or ran out), the swallowing problem got worse. I quit the hydrocodone and started gabapentin, aspirin and Plaquenil in April. I don't understand how hydrocodone works but it seemed to quiet my central nervous system.

Hopefully your symptoms will dissipate soon,
Barb

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Lily,

I am glad you got some answers even though it is a mix bag of news.:(

I hope it settles for you and you don't see the swallowing problems.:hug:

Take care.
Love,
Lyn

·
Duncan
254 Posts
I, too, had similar problems last year. The pain was unbelievable swallowing just liquids. Even a dribble of water. Nothing was found on tests and after a few months it very slowly faded away. No apparent relation to my meds.

I have the occasional time when I have to swallow 3 times to get food down my throat else it just sits there and very occasionally pain on swallowing, but it just went for me over time and no-one found the reason.

I hope the same happens to you and it just goes. It's horrible when you have got it, so look forward to the time when you won't!

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
((((hugs)))) Lily,

You are going through so much at them moment!

Like the others I am glad that they have finally decided on the reason for your swallowing problems, but also hope that they ease off without the need for more aggressive treatment!

Love,

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Personally, I was wishing it was something more simple and easily fixable for you but hopefully either the flare up will ease or a change of medication will help with the CNS lupus caused swallowing difficulty.

(((Lily)))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.