The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one takin this Ive been changed from amptitriptaline to gabapentine.

just wondered about side effects and how this has helped. think this is for systemic sclerosis and dermamyositis.

dixy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello dixy :)

I'm taking gabapentine (neurontin) but it's quite recent for me. No side effects other than a little extra temporary fatigue each time I put the dose up a bit. With each change the tiredness reaction has reduced.

Gabapentine is mainly used for neuropathic pain and nerve pain. I have had great results even though I haven't been on it long.

This is another recent thread on it. I hope that helps.
http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75523

Katharine

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Gabebpentin (i.e. neurontin), can be prescribed for numerous conditons.
However, it is most often prescribed for nerve neuropathy (nervepain).

I have taken this medication for over 10 years, and in the beginning, it did make me sleepy. I started out on a low dose, then gradually, the dose was raised to a therapeutic level for me. I take 300 mg, 3x daily. It works very well for my neuropathy. It reduced my electric, shooting, stabbing, and having skin so painful, I couldn't bear the weight of a sheet on it, kind of pain.

So for me..It is a thumbs up..kind of medication. I was also told, it is a "safe"
medication", by my dr.

Hope this helps you.

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have been taking 900mg of Gabapentin for the last few months after Amitriptyline didn't work for me. As per my docs advice I gradually increased the dose & was lucky enough to have no side effects whatsoever, but I do have a friend that had some balance problems. It has really helped my connective tissue pain.

HTH,

Pam x

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi

thanks

just feel a bit dizzy and tired but hopefully this will pass. Sandy I too couldnt bear anything to touch my skin like the sheets clothes even hubby was always trying to hold my hand,:eek: kept forgetting MEN.:mad:

Brilliant its worked for you. Im not so bad now I was just worried as I was on oramorph also as a top up. which I cant take with this new med. So reassuring that the nerve pain is under control 4 you. Phew so I should be ok.

thanks for the chat other night

dixy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
forgot

the list of side effects :eek::eek::eek:

hope I dont have them

dixy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've been on neurontin for over 15 years. I started it for migraine control, but have also had good results for neuropathy symptoms. I require higher than normal doses of medication as I have a lot of scar tissue in my small intestine which blocks absorption of medications and other things.

Neurontin is an old and tried and proven medication. It helps with a lot of issues.
I hope it works well for you.
Sally

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I LOVE THE STUFF :p :bigsmile:

·
Yard Sale Diva
186 Posts
the weird thing with me on it is that sometimes it knocks me dead asleep, and most times it just feels better. I never know when it will make me sleepy and tired. I take two 300mg's 3x a day.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I felt quite tired (a kind of "wall' of tiredness thing) every time I put the dose up a bit. It is listed as a side-effect but usually a temporary one. Mine is certainly temporary and I'm quickly back to normal.

My attitude to med notices and the long list of side-effects is to start taking the drug with a positive attitude and only if something off/odd does happen do I actually look at that long frightening list.

You may find that slightly irresponsible but it works for me and I'm sure I don't go imagining things that aren't there nor frightening the life out of myself.

I'm now on 3x300mg a day until the next neuro appointment and like lily, I LOVE it!

Katharine

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm on Gabapentin for my nerve pain (600-900mg, depending on how bad it is) and I think it's great. I had some mild fuzzy-headedness when I first started it 8 months ago, but nothing compared to what the Amitriptyline did to me (virtually knocked me out!) A lot of people tolerate it very well and get great results - hope you do to :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I have also started Gabapentin in the last few months for nerve pain after Amitriptyline knocked me for six. It has really helped although in the last two weeks have been finding that the nerve pain is coming back. I am due to see the doctor on Monday to review my dose so I imagine it will be increased again. As for the side effects, I have not experienced any thankfully.

Jacqui :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts