The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have many of you had troubles with your gallbladders? i think that's what this current issue i'm having is... going to get u/s on tuesday. my pcp is also checking out my pancreas and my liver. my poor liver; it swells up time and time again and no one can explain that either.

also wondering this general lupie question: you all have symptoms every day, even when labwork comes back "normal", yes? b/c i have lupus and fibromyalgia issues every single day. tho, i've been feeling tense with my rheumy lately because the last 6 months or so my labs keep coming back ok, mostly,and he gives me the feeling that he htinks my lupus may not be the culprit. but thing is that my symptoms haven't changed one iota in the last ten years, only my labs.

just wondering.

carol

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had gallbladder problems in the past, and wound up having my gallbladder removed. There was no explanation for it, no stones, no sludge, but the pathology came back showing chronic cholestitis. (sp?) Now I suffer with Sphincter of Oddi Disfunction of which I'm having repaired in March.

I too suffer with Fibro, and Lupus, and many overlaps. My symptoms vary from day to day, and week to week, and yes my labs can be fine as well. My labs are now just to monitor organ involvement, and thankfully my meds have helped to reduce the problems I was having with my kidneys.

I'm sorry you're suffering with gallbladder problems, and I hope they can find the reason for this pain your feeling soon.

Take care,

Karin

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my gall bladder removed 7.5 years ago -- before I thought anything was wrong with me other than hypothyroid. I've since had an ovary and appendix and uterus removed and wound up having to have an ERCP done. When having symptoms of the ERCP, they were exactly like the gall bladder pains, but maybe a little bit worse. They had to go down my throat and permanently open a duct near the pancreas that bile comes out of.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Scrapperjen, sounds like the same procedure I'm having done? I'm having a repair of the sphincter of oddi, and perhaps even the opening to the pancreas as well. How did you find the procedure, and was it successful for you?

Thanks,

Karin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is the "oddi" thing you guys are talking about? i've never heard of that before.

and ERCP? what's that?

are these both things that they would find on ultrasound? the u/s they are doing on tuesday is of the gallbladder, pancreas, and liver. this isn't a "new" problem for me, either... i guess i thought gallbladder issues were acute and not ongoing so i'm kind of wondering if it may be something related to gallbladder but not what people typically think of when it has to come out suddenly.

thanks for all the info!
carol

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I'd like to know what the initials stand for. It's easy enough to type the name out once , hint hint,:wink2:

Gall bladder problems can grumble on for years then turn acute.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
388 Posts
yes....i have a ultra scan booked in for the 22feb...for suspected gall bladder probs....i think its been there for abt 14 years off and on.......jane;)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography

:rotfl:

Sorry But that's the way it copies ! It doesn't even fit well to music.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
40 Posts
Karin -- The procedure itself wasn't bad for me at all. Getting the dr. to do it? Now that was another issue! It took nearly 2 months to have it done and this is after the dr walked into the room when I was to have my EGD (where they go down your throat to look at your stomach) to check for ulcers. Several weeks and an unecessary colonoscopy later, he finally did it.:rolleyes: There is a risk of developing pancreatitis, but I managed to avoid that. I did have to stay in the hospital overnight, but there really was no pain and I was on a regular diet the same night.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Carol

Sphincter of Oddi is one of the small ducts going into the liver, No you can't see it on ultrasound I don't think. The problem with that, is that it restricts and causes bile to back up into the liver causing extreme pain. Having it repaired means they go in there and slice the ducts opening so it cannot restrict any longer, and apparently is quite a successful procedure. "They" say the pain is similiar to gallbladder attacks, however I find it much more intense and severe than I found my gallbladder attacks.

Scrapperjen, thanks for the information!

Be well,

Karin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Carol,

I had really bad gallbladder problems to the point I begged my doctor to take it out . I have completed all necesary tests; only to find out the I have a fatty liver, and the Dr's said my gallbladder was functioning at an acceptable level. ...I then sought out a nutrionist who has taken me off of gluten, wheat, rye, oats, barley, dairy, soy, and all raw veggies. I must admit I feel 85-90% better, However when I have my period or eat something I shouldn't
I am doubled over ....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so if i have this u/s and they say--all looks ok should i press for CT or something to look further? i do notice that i feel crummy after eating. i never made that connection before but since i've been paying attention lately i notice it. i have had reflux for years,but this is something different. gives me backaches... and actually now that i think about it i started really noticing it after having the baby 3 months ago. when i am holding him, even the slightest movements of him against my abdomen it feels like i'm swollen under my ribs. kind of like my guts are full of marbles. sounds weird, no? plus being extra "acidy" among other things.

i'm anxious for this u/s but am fearful it will be more of what i'm used to which is "everything looks normal".

thanks everyone,
carol

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A CT scan will NOT find gallstones. Ultrasound is your best option. There are other specific procedures to evaluate gallbladder functioning, but a CT scan is not one of them. When I had my first gallbladder attack, the ER did a CT scan as I thought it might be another kidney stone (I get lots of those pesky things). But while they found 3 kidney stones, none were in a location that should be causing me acute pain. So later they did the ultrasound scan and that's when they found the gallbladder stones.

Pregnancy is well known to contribute to gallbladder problems/stones. I think it has something to do with how digestion slows down so much while pregnant. I know mine sure did!

I hope you get some answers soon with this scan. Let us know how it turns out ;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've had the "HIDA" test for gall bladder function and the ultrasound to look for a gall stone and both of those have come back negative. BUT I still have all the typical gall bladder problems except I've only had one major incident of pain - mostly its nausea, bloating and diarhea. I have found that if I make a major effort to cut down on my fats I feel much better. Since from what I've heard you have to do that anyway the first year after getting the gall bladder removed I figure I might as well try to eat that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts