The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I got Tulips for Easter that came in pots.

Can I plant them in the ground now or should I wait until the Fall season?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karol,

I would lift them out of the pots and put them in a cool dark place for now then plant them in fall. Before you plant them you might want to place them in the crisper part of the refrigerator for a few weeks before planting, that seems to aid in helping them get a good start. Oh this advice is because where I live we get fairly warm summers, if you don't then it might be ok to put them straight in the ground now :)

Happy gardening!

love
Lily

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Karol, Lucky you, receiving tulips for Easter. They are my favorite Spring flower. Mine are not blooming yet. Flower gardening is one of my hobbies. Lily gave you the correct info. for tulip bulbs. Once planted they should give you many years of enjoyment. Hope you had a great Easter. Rosie

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ladies. So Lily, if it is not too hot here in the summer then I can safely plant them now??? Just making sure I am understanding right....you know how brain fog is!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yes

I agree with Lily. You should be able to plant them out now. Most of my garden tulips are bulbs planted after flowering in pots and they are all fine, but we do not have very hot summers here.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say our typical hot summer time mid day heat temperature is 82-85 degrees. Rarely it gets into the 90's.

OK, I think it is safe to plant them now.

Thanks so much.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't lift my tulips. They are starting to come up now but are not yet ready to bloom. You may want to put some cayenne pepper in the hole and on top to stop squirrels from attacking and devouring your bulbs. It stops moles from eating their roots too.

If you plant bulbs, you can dust them in the cayenne, then put some in the bottom of the hole and also on top of the bulbs. It will discourage attacks on your bulbs.
Sally

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pink Pearl;541884 said:
I don't lift my tulips. They are starting to come up now but are not yet ready to bloom. You may want to put some cayenne pepper in the hole and on top to stop squirrels from attacking and devouring your bulbs. It stops moles from eating their roots too.

If you plant bulbs, you can dust them in the cayenne, then put some in the bottom of the hole and also on top of the bulbs. It will discourage attacks on your bulbs.
Great Tip. I will do this as it is easier then standing outside with my sons paint ball gun looking for critters that think they are going to invade my dirt.:lol::lol::lol:

Hope your well Sally.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Karol,
That tip came from one of the local "tv" gardeners. Got to give credit to her!

Don't forget in the fall to give all your bulbs a good amount of bulb fertilizer worked into the soil. It gives them the boost they need to give you the best blooms come spring. You can give them a good handful of bone meal before and after they are done blooming. It helps them to survive the stress of blooming and set them up for a good bloom next season.

In summer, give your annuals and perennials a couple handfuls of alfalfa meal. It helps them to survive and give the best blooms. Work it in the soil, as it draws critters - squirrels, other little beasties. Repeat every 6 weeks, the last 6 weeks before you want them to settle for winter dormancy.
Sally

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Cayenne pepper is also great for cats that like to use your garden as a litter box.

:flower2:
Lazylegs

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hey all...........while we're on the subject:)
Does anyone know if a daffodil or tulip comes up 'blind' ie without a flower, does it mean it will always come up that way.
In other words.......should I bin it or will it do better next year if I feed it and stuff?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Bigsis,

I've had some do that only to flower the following year. Sometimes if a bulb is moved it won't flower the first year. I would still fertilise it though because they store all their food for the following year.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also have existing tulips that will not produce a flower and then the next year it will.

Gosh so much good gardening advice here.:wink2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts