The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suffering from severe gastric reflux for some years now and I have to take Ranitidine 150mg every night, and frequently have to take a dose during the day, along with antacids. I have eliminated foods that are obvious causes, but I have never like spicy foods, I don’t drink alcohol as I cannot tolerate it at all, as it makes me violently ill, so that is not a factor! It is so bad sometimes I even get heartburn when I just drink water!

I was wondering if this is another condition that is associated with Lupus, as I thought I saw some mention of it on the boards a while back.

My doctor never seems to pay much attention to it. Even when I was worried at one stage that it was the Ranitidine causing my rash. I was also worried about the long term affects of reflux and wonder what damage it is doing?

I just wondered how many others suffered with it?

Regards

Star

·
Registered
41 Posts
Star,
I suffer with bad heartburn and reflux. Actually it was one of the symptoms that I had problems with before everything else started. I was having such trouble with my stomach and heartburn. Not only would I have it come up into my throat but I would actually start vomiting when it got really bad. I had so many tests ran but could never find any cause for it. Not long afterwards I started having more problems and my stomach settled down a little. I still get really bad heartburn and I know if I dont get it under control it will make me vomit. I take rantidine daily also.

I understand what you mean but no one has told me that it was lupus related as I have just been diagnosed with lupus but they could never find any other cause for it after they ran all the scopes.

Sorry I wasn't much help but maybe someone else can add some insight.

Tracy

·
Registered
117 Posts
I get that stuff something aweful

Hi Star! I get the same thing and hate it! Can't eat anything half the time and it drives me nuts. I hate going to sleep to wake up with the acid reflux coming up to my throat choking me to death which has happened several times. I started out with it being mild before my diagnoses and then it got worse. A CT Scan showed recently a Hiatail Hernia. That can be a cause for your problem but then Gall Bladder can also cause the same problems. I think I would ask to get checked. Hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Star, yes I suffer, or used to, badly from heartburn or reflux, or what ever you want to call it. I also had the choking problem and then I would even throw-up
water. Then my Gastro man put me on prescription strength Pepcid. That is what I call it , but it does go by a RX name and you need a RX to get it. Mainly, I want to
say that since I have been on that, I have absoutly no, no, problems. Ask your dr.
about it. I hope you get better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Star,

That is a common issue I think.. I had the acid really bad for several years before the doctors took it serious. Finally they ran some test and for out that I over produce stomach acid and that a had a bad gallbladder. Once they remove the gallbladder and put me on meds it did calm down some.

I do notice that when I go a long time with out eating something it tends to get much worse. I tend to eat small meals that are very bland and eat a lot of saltine crackers. You could also try to raise the head of your bed, by putting a couple of pillows under your mattress. Plus don't lie flat it tends to allow the acid to follow up your throat easier.
Plus tight pants at the waist tend to push the acid up the throat.

You are right to be concerned about long term effects. Make sure to keep on your doctor. It can eroad the lining of your throat, and cause other issues too.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello
Gastric reflux can certainly be associated with connective tissue disease and certain syndromes. I think it should be investigated and an eye kept on it in case it develops and starts doing damage. I think it is treated for itself and doesn't respond to disease modifying medications.

Lots of luck with getting relief

Clare

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't know if it is related to lupus or not, but I had problems years ago and had a repair done to make a new valve in 1985. Half of the repair has "fallen", so I have recurring problems. Have you ever tried Nexium? It is the only thing that works for me and I tried them all. As long as I take it every day, I had no problems until recently when they put me on indomethacin. Now I have to take Gaviscon once in a while for heart burn. I really recommend the Nexium though.

Nutty

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Ahhhh the dreaded stomach issues.

First let me say I have not been dx with Lupus YET.

I have had my entire stomach removed due to ulcers and now take triple doses of Nexium, Ranatidine and Carafate Suspension every day for the rest of my life.

No one can seem to figure out why I got ulcers, especially the ones that came back AFTER THEY REMOVED MY ENTIRE STOMACH.

They thought I had Zollinger Ellison syndrome, tested me and nope, don't have it.

Then they thought I produced to much Secretin, tested me and nope, not that either.

They, the doctors, have no clue why I have so many issues with Acid, especially now without a stomach to produce acid.

It is frustrating to say the least. I hope you get some relief from this.

Keep a eye on it and if your body tells you so...........then get to the doctor and do not drag your feet on it. Ulcers are no walk in the park!:mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all your replies. I don’t wish it on anybody, but it is nice to know that I am not alone.

I know I need to talk to my doctor about it again and soon, but it is going to have to wait for a while anyway as I am due to go into hospital shortly for a major operation.

I seem to have an endless list these days, as so many of you do also. I understand how difficult it must be for doctors when a patient presents with so many ailments at one time. But it would be great if they could at least find a solution to at least one of my problems!

Thanks again for your help!

Regards

Star

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would suggest seeking out a gastroenterologist consult, and in all liklihood he will do an endoscopy. (don't worry - piece of cake test more or less!). It is important to get a look down there as ulcers can lead to esophageal cancer; there are also connective tissue diseases that can cause problems with the esophagus. I had this done last year, and it revealed only minor stomach irritation. They did take biopsies however, just to be sure I didn't have the bacteria that is known to be responsible for well over 80% of stomach ulcers overall.

The population of lupus patients, that stat might be too high though. The medications we take, as well as having a CTD make the incidence of ulcers *not* due to the bacteria higher than 20%...

Good luck - let us know how it goes ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts