TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can lupus cause gastric reflux been havin loads of stress not feeling well been sick about 7 times tonight heart burn thats making me sick had 3day constantly never goin my belly is really big taste the acid in my mouth horriable takin gaviscon and donperidone and preds any sugestion welcome

thanks donna

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Donna,
For many of us, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a companion. I'm not sure if it is from the meds we take, or it is simply a companion with lupus. But, yes, it can and does happen. Best recommendation is to get in to see a GI doctor. You may need an endoscopy or other procedures in order to figure out just what the problem is, do you have ulcers, lesions of unknown origin, or what.

Then, the solution is most often to take a acid inhibitor, most often for a long time, or as long as the symptoms are there. Delaying care for this can cause ulcerations and bleeding from the ulcers. Not fun! The sooner you control it, the better for your long term care of it.

Good luck, and get in as fast as you can.
Sally

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Donna

When you say 'being sick' do you mean actual 'projectile type' vomiting or is it that there is 'stuff' coming up your neck? Both things can mean different causes. If its 'vomiting' and this is happening as much as 7 times a night you should get to your GP as soon as possible. If its small amounts of reflux, it could be being caused by the Pred. I started with acid reflux symptoms a few weeks after starting on pred and they have never really gone away. That was over three years ago.

My rheumy put my on lanzaprazole to help protect my stomach and this works wonderfully. So long as I take it each morning I dont suffer from acid reflux or heartburn at all.

Im not sure what you mean by

had 3day constantly never goin
If you want to try and explain it again we might be able to help more.

Take care for now
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Donna

hope u checked out with chemist its ok to gavison some meds u cant take it with.

Poor u I hate it wen i have reflux.:eek::eek::eek:

mints help with the yukky taste think there is something in apples that helps also almonds

wish u better big hug

dixy

·
Registered
314 Posts
HI Donna, Acid refux can be miserable. I have had it for years. I've been on every med. out there...now on Prevacid. I have had 3 endos., the last one in July. They also found Hiatil Hernia. I can't even take daily low dose aspirin for heart. My Gastro. says it will give me an ulcer. The only pain med. I can take is Tylenol...every anti-inflamation med. causes extreme heartburn. Please see a Gastro. He can advise you on what may be your best for your situation.
Take care, Rosie

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Donna

me again :rotfl: my DR just changed my omprazole

to twice a day so morning and 6pm This has helped me its not as bad now.

tc

dixy

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
My Gastro Problems are due to all the meds I am on and the best med, that works for me is LANSOPRAZOLE. It maybe worth visiting your Doctor and see if another med helps.

Sheila x

·
Registered
631 Posts
My rheumy put me on Prevacid proactively to try and avoid tummy problems because of all of the meds and it seems to definitely help.

My husband has severe reflux and had an upper endoscopy and was also put on prevacid but a higher dosage as Zantac and Prilosec didn't work for him. Prevacid has been great for him. I would also consult a GI doctor.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Donna,
As crazy as this sounds Have you been eating a lot of tomatoe based things? If you have then try some sugar it settles the acid in the tomatoe and the acid in your stomach. If you haven't you can try it anyway to see if it works. I have to put a little sugar in things like tomatoe based foods. I can eat whole uncooked tomatoes no problem but cook them and we have a fight going on in my body and stomache. The stress that you are having could also be affecting the amount of acid producted by your stomache and causing you some problems. If you can try limiting your stress level and see if that helps any.

It might take an over the counter anti acid or a prescription to get things settled down for you. If you are still having the problem in a few more days I would give a quick call to the doctor to see if they want you to try the over the counter or give you a script first. I do hope that you feel better soon, it can make you very uncomfortable and leave a bad taste in your mouth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Donna,
I was Dx with Acid reflux 3years ago, out of the blue. I was already on prednisolone and Lansoprazole so wasn't quite sure why it appeared but for some reason it coincided with a huge pelvic bleed that I had in 2006. I was put on Domperidone (Motilium) which helped along with Gaviscon. Be careful on that though because my Renal consultant took me off it after a little while because my salt levels shot up. ( she said it contains a lot of salt). I had an endoscopy which was all clear then but now 3years I have gall stones so I'm not sure if that is linked or not. The actual reflux of small amounts of acid has near enough cleared up. Shame other problems came and replaced it. Hope your doctor can give you a few more answers but definitely go and get checked out.

All the best with that. Sorry my babbling didnt actually answer any questions as such.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks to u all i spos i need to see doc but today not as bad but my belly is really big nd ibs is kickin in i think so get rid off 1 nd get another story of my life lol but took all on board nd think its best to see gp
so many kind people tc all hope i can do the same for u all 1day thanks again

donna

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Donna,

I hope you can get this all sorted out soon :hug:

Can you please NOT use text speak, the majority of people here have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

Thanks,

Lily

1 - 14 of 14 Posts