The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I worked a lot on my familiy's geneology, I used a computer program that helped a lot as well as getting help from my local library. I am trying to save up more money so that I can use that program again to finish what I started. It is rather time consuming and I got worn out easily but it was something I enjoyed doing because I am the only one in the entire family who is keeping track of things and records. Of course there are many things to learn about family if you knew nothing really to start with, I am not sure how it would be to use if you are from a country other than the US because most of the info with the first program shows US records but I think there are additional records for other countries. But I was able to trace several parts of my family all the way back to where they came from origionally.

We already knew England, but not any names, there are also several people from Ireland, Native American which wasn't traced because they were counted as white, but I knew the people. The best parts I found out was children's names, places of birth, marriage, burial, as well as jobs, I even found out that my grandmother and grandfather grew up on the same street in West Virginia. I had a lot of fun also looking at last names, and frustration with people who were born in states before they had birth certificates. I just enjoyed looking at all the old records that showed up on the computer, ages, schooling etc. Need to get back to that since if I don't no one else wants to do it. I didn't know if tracing your familily's roots was popular anywhere else, a lot of people I know do it here in the US. Is It?

PS. the reason this came to mind is that one of the items I got from my grandma's house was a Bible given to my great grandfather in 1897.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
family tree

Hi Karly, I just posted [I think] a reply to your thread but it seems to have got lost in the ether somewhere:rolleyes:
Yes seaching family trees has become very popular here in the UK. We are doing ours for our children- we had our family quite late so a lot of relatives are no longer with us!
We go to London to the Family Records department where most British Birth Deaths and Marriages are recorded. It is great fun and i allways think its a bit like detective work following clues and hints - when you find that record of a grandfather etc that fits details of what you knew - or didnt! its a great buzz isnt it. We could use the on line searches but as you say they can get quite expensive so we usually use the limited free info.
Happy hunting
Sue

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.