The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Canice,

Sorry - no - I have a hiatus hernia and hence reflux, but omeprazole is enough to keep it at bay for me.

Are you facing surgery? What exactly are they planning to do? What have you tried already?

All the very best,

X C X

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Surgery was threatened back about `10 years ago. I had an attack so bad that I ended up in the Emergency Room. Finally the doctor tried giving me a narcotic "cocktail" consisting of Maloxx, codeine and morphine liquids. I showed up at the office and got my cocktail morning and late afternoon three days in a row. Thank goodness, knocked out the symptoms. I now can feel it coming and take steps to keep it from getting out of hand.

Good luck to you. I'd ask for a second opinion before considering surgery. There are other treatments out there and the surgery is fairly serious and often can cause other issues.

Sunny

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I also have the hernia. I have been fighting this for many years but the past year has been total ****. I have been to several doctors. I have had three endoscopies. The last one showed that my esophagus is being eaten away and I am at risk for cancer.
The surgery is called fundoplication basically they wrap the top portion of your stomach around your esophagus to strengthen it. It is done labroscopicly. I am relieved that I might finally get some relieve. I get such bad reflux at night that it starts to come out of my nose and my throat and chest feel like I swallowed bleach.
They will also be fixing the hernia.
Canice:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts