The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am on my 2nd illness in the past 4 weeks. My first one was a nasty respiratory flu that knocked me down for 4 full days and then about half of the ones following. I just got over that one last Thursday, and last night I started in on another cold. This one is in my head (last one was in my chest).

I am on Plaquenil. I've heard both ways in that it is an immunosuppressant and that it isn't an immunosuppressent. Which is it? At this point I'm inclined to believe it IS. I've always been an easy host for viruses, but this is ridiculous! I don't even know where I'm catching this stuff -- my kids are healthy for a change! These colds are really knocking me down. I am so tired with them. I work 6.5 hours per day and I think I may have to leave early today. I could just crash for the rest of the day. No problem.:sad:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello!

Since lupus affects how the immune system works, many of us find we get sick more often and stay sick longer than those around us. At the beginning of the year, I spent five weeks sick with a virus that went from my head and sinuses, to my throat and upper respiratory tract, to my ears, and finally to my lungs. I saw the doctor twice with it, and he said something to the effect that the virus "was having fun with me."

I hope you feel better soon. It's frustrating to go from sickness to sickness.

Terri

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Plaquenil is actually listed as an immunosuppressant on the forms my pharmacy sends home with me each time I fill it. But it is a very MILD one, unlikely to result in an increase in infections. It acts in a much different way than true immunosuppressants do like Imuran, Cellcept, Methotrexate. Plaquenil was never designed to prevent organ rejection so in many ways, it really shouldn't be labeled as an immunusuppressant!

I do get more infections more often the last few years. In my case, I think it is due to IgA deficiency (diagnosed after blood testing following near constant eye/nose/ear bacterial infections) combined with having a first child in daycare germ land! My infections have eased up a bit this last year or two, in large part to the sheer volume I had the previous 2 years and the fact that my daughter is no longer in daycare but home with me.

I actually had far FEWER colds in the first 2 years following my lupus diagnosis - some doctors speculated to me that was because my immune system was in overdrive. Others here have reported the same.

I'm not looking forward to her going to school in many ways - I will have to hope that I won't have to go through that horror again of being constantly sick with viral and bacterial infections.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am on plaquinel, methotrexate, prednisone, soma, folic acid, I have had two UTI's in the past six or seven weeks, my medicine is even labeled stay away from people with illnesses that are contagious as the immune system is comprimised. I do that, stay far away from other people who have the sniffles, or wash my hands a lot. I still see people mind you, including my neices I just don't go over there when they have a full blown illness.
Karly Take care everyone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just feeling worse by the hour! I can't possibly have another flu,could I? These illnesses are really coming at the wrong times for me! I got my first one the night before my son's play opened and he was the lead male character (he's only in 3rd grade, so it's a big deal for us!) and now I'm supposed to go to a dinner party for the mayor tonight and I am just wiped. Our mayor is retiring this month so he's having a dinner party for city officials and I just happen to be one. I didn't REALLY want to go in the first place, but I certainly would rather go and be healthy than feel the way I am now. I don't know what to do. I'm really tired from not sleeping well, my head hurts, my throat hurts, and I'm basically just miserable. Right after work I have to pick up my daughter from daycare, then pick up my son from school, drive them out to my mom's house, go home to get ready for this dinner thing, go to dinner, go back to mom's to pick up the kids, and then finally go home. I almost called in sick to work today.................and would have if it hadn't been for this silly dinner party! If I actually make it through this day, I have a feeling I won't be here at work tomorrow. :eek:hno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts