The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been recently diagnosed with SLE. Does that mean I can no longer donate blood? Must I also remove my name from the bone marrow registry?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello

You need to enquire of the local people what their requirements are. Generally speaking most people with SLE may not give blood but it seems to vary from place to place. I don't know about bone marrow

:)
Clare

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey there,

I was a registered bone marrow donor in the UK and a blood donor in Greece. Post-diagnosis I contacted the Anthony Nolan trust to inform them and they explained to me that people with autoimmune disorders cannot be bone marrow donors in the UK. I don't know if the US has similar rules on this... Like Clare says, rules seem to vary from place to place so it might be a good idea to ask the marrow registry in your area about this!

The following passage is from www.lupus.org.uk:

"Can systemic lupus or discoid lupus patients be blood donors?

A. On the whole patients with lupus are discouraged from giving blood.

We asked the Blood transfusion centre why this was their policy was and was given the following answer by Dr Angela Gorman Consultant Haematologist:

There are two main principles underlying our advice on donor selection - firstly, to ensure as far as humanly possible the safety of blood being transfused and, secondly, to ensure that we do not risk the health of our donors in any way. A number of broad categories of illness will prevent a volunteer from donating blood. These include malignancy, illnesses of unknown origin and systemic inflammatory conditions. This is because, without a full understanding of the causes of such conditions, we cannot ensure that we are not risking the transmission of harmful chemicals or toxins to the patient and, furthermore, we cannot be certain that we will not harm the donor in any way.

We are aware that this disappoints many potential volunteers but we must be extremely careful not to allow our need for additional blood donors to override our duty of care to the potential volunteer. Equally, we must avoid the risk of harming the blood recipient, even if this means unnecessarily refusing some donations."

Of course the above passage is for the UK, so it might be a good idea to contact your local blood donation bank and ask them!

Hope you're doing well! :)

Zoi

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Zoi:

Thanks - that is so cool...I stopped giving after my DX as a nurse friend said they would not want my blood anymore. No I can donate again!

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Stephanie,

The others have given you good advice. From a UK perspective I am no longer allowed to give blood but I can still be an organ donor. I'm not sure about bone marrow donations.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
i to have been taken of the register, it was taken out of my hands,

Lin x

·
Registered
251 Posts
was under the impression that the meds you are on could also be a disqualification for donation.
Joanne

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My veins are so bad I have problems getting enough blood for a blood test let alone giving it (not to mention I'm afraid of needles :eek: ) but my Rheumy keeps telling me its okay for me to stay an Organ Doner. Its nice that here in Florida you can note that on your Drivers Liscense so its always with you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was at an event here in California where they were testing bone marrow. I asked if I could donate and was told no......no autoimmune diseases. Also had a blood drive at my work and I was rejected.

Eric

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I have never been able to give blood in Belgium as they won't accept anyone who lived in England for more than a certain number of months (I think three) before 1984 or 1986 - I can't remember exactly!

So the lupus side of it is rather academic.

Katharine

·
Registered
84 Posts
A few years back I went to see if I could get on the bone marrow donors list, I had a family member with Leukemia. I was told then no because of my Hypothyroid condition. Don't know about donating blood. But I thought the answer would be no because of all the meds I'm taking for they thyroid condition and the lupus.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wanted to donate my cord blood after I gave birth to my son, and they would not take it. I was so busy with a newborn, I never asked why....

I guess they are leery about our blood!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts