TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am going in for a laparotomy Wednesday 23rd and I am beginning to get a wee bit nervous now.

I keep worrying about silly things, like bed baths and snoring! Mad I know but I can’t help it.

Obviously I am worried about the operation itself, that goes without saying. But I am trying to be level headed about it and think it has got to be done, as I can’t go on like I am and this may be my last chance at regaining some semblance of a normal life.

My rash is not too bad at the moment and is fairly under control, although it is starting to bother me around my mouth. Hopefully it will clear up again by Wednesday!

Anyway……..I have my new PJ’s and slippers at the ready ….all I need now is courage!

Wish me luck!

Thanks

Regards

Star

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Star:)

The very best of luck next Wednesday. I dont blame you for being nervous. Its a real trauma having to go into hospital :hugbetter: You are out of your comfort zone, lonely and often scared. I would never underestimate the anxiety a hospital stay can bring on :hug:

Make sure you pack some home comforts with you. Sometimes just having some familiar things around you can help ease the anxiety. A favourite photo or familiar item from your dressing table for example.

Sending you a huge dose of courage.... I think you are in my time zone? I have set the alarm on my mobile phone for 11.00am next Wednesday morning to remind me you are heading into the hospital. I will send positive thoughts to you at that exact moment:)

Best of luck and I hope it all turns out good for you
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
647 Posts
:( Oh ouch! Here's sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery! It has been my experience that the sooner I get out of the hospital, the sooner I start to heal.

Sleep deprivation, or poor quality sleep, after what is already a traumatic injury to the body, does no one any good. I agree with the previous post, some things from home usually do help.

Try to think of what you need to fall asleep at home. I always bring my own pillow to the hospital, along with a pair of earplugs (invaluable!), a good book, and some of my favorite herb tea. Bringing a list of all your medications, and a list of all your treating doctors, will make it much easier on you as well.

I'm sure there are others who have great tips as well!

Sending healing wishes ... Tracy

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Star,

I am sending you big, soft hugs your way.:hug:

I will be thinking of you next Wed. Good luck.:luck:

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

Lyn

·
Inky
249 Posts
Dear Star

I hope your trip to hospital goes smoothly for you.

I always make sure I have things around me that make me feel at home like Joan said, and use hospital as an excuse for sleeping. I can mostly trick myself to sleep now, even on a busy hospital ward.. where there is a will there is a way. Have you an ipod or mp3 player, that helps to shut out noise.

I also have my family bring me food I like. I have difficulty swallowing hospital food, I know it is a psychological problem I have but there it is.

And remember if you do snore, you won't know it... it is just all the other snorers, and the nurses, who will notice. ;)

I have had a laparotomy. It was far far less frightening than I thought it would be and the scar is invisible after a very short time usually.

Will be thinking of you on Wednesday.

Much love
Sara

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi, I am thinking of you , and boy, I don't want to be in your shoes, when it comes to going to the hospital I am one of those people who are real chickens. But deep in
my heart I know that everything is going to be alright.
I send you(((((hugs)))) and I will be thinking of you.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey (((((((Star))))))) :hugbetter:

The new pjs and the slippers sound great! :thumbs:And as far as courage is concerned you seem to have quite a lot of that actually! Nonetheless, in case your stock runs out or if you simply happen to feel like you need just a little bit more strength that day, remember that we'll all be sending you some from our own personal and collective lupie stocks on Wednesday just in case you may happen to want or need some extra...! :bigsmile:

Sending loads and loads of hugs your way, along with some of that calorie-free chocolate and tons of positive wishes and thoughts for a speedy recovery and for everything to go extra, extra smoothly for you :grouphug2::grhug::hug:

:flowery:

Zoi

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello

I just wanted to say thank you for all your kind messages. It really means a lot to me knowing that I am getting positive vibes through the ether!

This is my Third op, second major, so it is not like I don’t know what to expect, but still it is never easy!

I have everything prepared, except for my MP3 player which is not behaving itself!

This time next week it will all be over and if I am on my best behaviour I am sure they will give me an early release (fingers crossed)!

Thanks again!

Star

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
Good Luck.... Sending my Lots and Lots of hugs!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi, I'll add my good wishes and hugs to all the others .... boy, you're gonna be covered by the time you get to the hospital. :lol: As for courage, you've already done the hard part when you made the decision. Now it's all easy peasy. The only good thing about a hospital is somebody takes care of just about everything for you. That can be nice.

Seriously, I'll add my thoughts and prayers to the rest and will send special courage and care your way.

Sunny

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello Star, Just sending my best wishes to you and to remind you to be kind to yourself when you get home again. Dont do too much too soon and chill out and allow others to help you and before you know it you will be feeling the benefit of the Op and the rest.
:)
Sue

·
Registered
150 Posts
HI Star,

just to let you know that I too will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending you lots of healing thoughts . . ..:)

I hope it really helps with your symptoms and it's the beginning of the on and up!

Take care,

Cathy x

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Star,

I hope everything went well with your operation. I wish you a speedy recovery with a lot of pampering.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Star :)

Just wanted to send you my best wishes. Hope everythings gone well and that you get plenty of rest. Take it easy:)

Mrs M x

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to say I hope the surgery went well and that youa re recovering well. I have had 3x laparotomies amongst many other surgeries, and I was always a bit nervous... hospitals are never fun, and surgery most certainly is not a party!

If this is your 1st laparotomy, hopefully they have told you to try sleep on your side with a big, thick, comfy pillow tucked between your legs to support your stomach. This has truly been the best position I ever found. Also, if you need to stand, sit or do anything that even remotely uses your tummy muscles (you will be surprised how often we use them!), then press firmly on your lower abdomen to support the area.. it helps with the pain.

Good luck & really hoping all went well..

hugs
Melissa

1 - 17 of 17 Posts