The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone i was just wondering if anyone knew if i can go out in the sun, i am newly diagnosed with lupus and im waiting to see the rhumy, but i have been told by a friend that i shouldn't be exposed to the sun, i don't have any signs of skin lupus but have tested pos for ANA and was wondering if im ok to go out in the sun, any advice would be great thanks.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Nikki
Not everybody with lupus is particularly photosensitive but everybody should be prudent in this hot weather to avoid burns and reduce the risk of skin cancers. The potentially fatal melanoma rate is increasing horrifically in the UK and the USA and who wants any sort of skin cancer. There is also the risk of sunstroke.
Children especially need to be protected. It's a major public health concern. I have already seen burnt babies. This is negligence imo.
Sunlight is also a cause of cataracts so protect your eyes with hat and glasses

Here is the UK UV index, 6 today where I live, moderate to high.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/guide/key.html#uv

Even if you have dark skin you need to be cautious

There are innumerable threads about the precautions to be taken, on Medications and Living with Lupus forum sections so I wont go into the topic here.

:)
Clare

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. Not everyone has a reaction to the sun. It is important to monitor your time in the sun and also if the sun makes you feel worse. If this is the case then you will want to limit your time in the sun. You will also want to use sunscreen just as a procaution. It is always a good idea to protect yourself from the sun.

I hope this helps you in your choice to be in the sun and the amount of time that you spend in it. I hope that you are feeling well and doing well. Oh, if you are concerned make sure to speak with your doctor about the sun and the amount you should be concern with.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Nikki

Welcome to the Forum :) Like everything with this disease, people react differently and have many different symptoms. Its sometimes impossible to avoid going out in the sun and very often its the one time of the year when we want to enjoy the sun as much as possible but the key is to do it sensibly and limit your exposure as much as possible. While the sun may not affect your skin it can actually cause underlying damage and autoimmune activity which can cause flare ups. Many people, for example, will report feeling exhausted after spending some time out in the sun and others note increased disease activity, including kidney issues. So its important to know that the sun can cause underlying problems which are not always visible.

I would certainly advise against sun bathing (the mere thought of it would throw me into a spin!) but going about your ordinary business is possible provided you take precautions. Covering up with light clothing and a hat is definitely advised. Also wearing a good protection sun block is important.

It can be a little bit of trial and error trying to see if you are photo-sensitive but I would strongly advise you to carry out your trial and error phase with good caution and sensibility. Also, just to make you aware, some people are quite photosensitive around fluorescent and halogen lights.

For my part I wear sun block every day, wear sunglasses, sometimes wear a hat and always wear trousers and long sleeves. Since taking these precautions and getting started on treatment I have never experienced the type of rashes I used to get before diagnosis. However I do find that on hot days I am physically more exhausted if I have been out in the sun for any length of time and my joints seem to hurt more. I try to avoid the sun during the hot hours but because I work I have no option some days but to go out in it. I limit my exposure as much as possible though. I also have the curtains pulled in my house to avoid reflective sun from the windows.

You will find your 'limits' over time. Have a look through some of the old threads about sun exposure and you will get an idea of the sensible approach. Also remember that some of the medications we take can increase photosensitivity so this has to be factored into lifestyle changes as well.

Best of luck
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies and advice, its reasurring to know and it nice to hear other people's experiences take care all :)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Joandublin;547627 said:
You will find your 'limits' over time.
I could not have said this better!!!

Hi Nicky,

The advice Joan have given is awesome!!! And she is right, over time you will find your limits. I just posted a new thread today about issues I now have with the sun that I never had before and it hit me without warning.

Please be very careful and take precautions.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Welcome to the site Nikki,

Joan has given you some really good advice!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Nikki,
Please permit me to rain on your sunny parade.
Being a bit of an expert in allergies (from personal experience unfortunately) I would throw out one caution. I was told long ago that if I had never eaten fruit I would not now react to the mere air born allergens thereof. That MD explained that repeated exposures will finally push one over the brink into a full-blown allergic reaction even though one showed not reactions previously.
*If* he is correct then maybe you should consider being very careful about exposure to the sun. Just be careful, please. You really do not want to be like me: sun block, long sleeves, trousers and a large cowboy stetson. And that's on cloudy days.:)
Douglas+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts