The Lupus Forum banner

Goodness, rituxan again .....

768 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  keebler 
#1 ·
and here I was expecting just to be in for iv steroids. Actually the thought of more rituxan gives me the willies as I am extremely allergic to the stuff (1st treatment abandoned, 2nd treatment I limped through very slowly in icu) so I really don't look forward to it. They give me 1000mg steroids, but still I have a really hard time with it (severe bronchospasm, drop my oxygen sats, the whole nine yards).

Then I have months of out of control asthma which is really horrible.

Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, but I do hate the stuff. Oh, after the rituxan I then go for one cytoxan treatment, then do it all again a fortnight later - except that it will be more like 6 weeks later (it was last time) coz it takes a long time to get the bronchospasm settled down enough.

Oh well, that will teach me to moan about my symptoms - I am being admitted Wednesday (provided they don't put me off - with all the doctor strikes and winter illnesses you just never know with hospitals).

I just feel sorry for my dogs - with me out of action they don't get much exercise

cheers

Raglet

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you take Benedryl or any other allergy medication prior to the injection? I'm suprised they are going forward knowing how you reacted the first time. Here's hoping they have something in mind.

Do you feel it is worth the side effects to get the treatment? I guess that really is the question, isn't it? Sometimes us lupies have to decide which is worse - the cause or the cure!

Here's hoping somebody has a "plan B" for this, and this next go around will be much better. Keep us informed. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Be well - Tracy

#3 ·
Oh Dear Raglet :sad:

What a shock and a worry for you :hugbetter: You are having a terrible time of it thats for sure

Can I send you my very best wishes, strength and support and I pray that your reaction to the drug will have lessened. Fingers and toes crossed for a miracle.

Take good care dear woman and come back safe and sound. Be thinking of you.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

#4 ·
I definitely get maxed out on everything possible that will help prevent an allergic reaction - plus I am increasing my pulmicort from 2 puffs a day to 5 puffs a day, etc etc (4 is actually the maximum, so they have pushed me over the top a bit) - they load me up pretty good.

Here's hoping this time isn't too bad - actually I got a bit of a shock when they said rituximab as it took 18 months to get it approved last time. I just wasn't expecting it, and yes I do hate the stuff.

oh well, guess I will just have to do it.

cheers

raglet

#5 ·
I wish you all the best with your rituxan treatment. When I had had my rituxan treatments they have always given m a pre-med half and hour before the rituxan started. This was hydrocortisone, phenergan and panadine. This seemed to work for me as I had only a minor reaction, some swelling of the throat.

good luck. Let us know how you go with the treament.
Peta

#6 ·
(((((((Raglet))))))) you must be dreading it :( It really is awful when these choices are not really choices any more.

I hope it goes OK and especially that it slows all this disease activity you have been having considerably.

Best of luck,
Katharine

#7 ·
Raglet:

I am so sorry you have to go through this again! I remember how tough it was for you last time. My prayers are with you!

God Bless you.

Love Stephanie

#8 ·
Hi Raglet,

Good luck with your infusions. My doctor has me increase my prednisone and start taking Benedryl 2 days prior to the treatment. I have never had a big reaction but he says he has found it has helped with his other patients. Others I have spoken with say their reaction lessened with each infusion. I will keep my fingers crossed in hopes that it will be less for you also.

Take care,
Lazylegs

#9 ·
Good luck on the upcoming infusions, I just hope the reaction lessens for you each time as it has for other patients. Moreso, I hope the infusion WORKS and helps stop the progression of your symptoms! Write back when you get out and let us know how it went... :)

#10 ·
I remember very well what you went through last time and I can understand how jittery you are feeling.

As others have said, hopefully it will be a less traumatic experience this time round. I'll be thinking of you.

Your dogs will miss you but just think of those waggy tails waiting to greet you when you get home! :dog:

Hope all goes well,

Hugz, :hug:

Pam xxx

#11 ·
Hi Raglet,

I too hope that this time it isn't such a traumatic ordeal for you :hug: and most of all that you get great benefit from it!

love
Lily

#13 ·
Hi Raglet,
I know you always make light of all the weird and worrying things going on just now, but this reaction sounds seriously scary.

i hope things go better this time and you begin to get some respite from that dreaded wolf.
Everything crossed for you:fingers: :fingers:

#14 ·
thanks for your good wishes everyone - I am going in to hospital tomorrow and expect to be there for a few days. Will post when I am back home again. My main problem with rituxan is that I am very allergic to mice, and rituxan is half mouse, half human. They think I will do better with it when the fully humanised version is available, but that is still some years away where I live.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for an uneventful stay.

see ya

raglet

#15 ·
Good luck Raglet with your treatment and stay in hospital:stretcher:

:getwell: Hope you feel better very soon!

Love Lesley:flowery:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.