TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i got my blood test results back today and other than understanding all are within normal ranges except for one which is slightly high im lost! :eek:

I dont understand what the tests are for or what the results mean as such, even though most are in the "normal" range should i keep an eye on things or not? What do i do now if anything?

Any help would be very very appreciated :)

My results are as follows-: what ive been told are normal range are in brackets

Coagulation INR-1, APPT-1 (0-20), (0-20)
Lupus Thrombing-15.8 (12-19)
Cardiolipins-IgG-1, IgM-1, Protein C-136% (0-20), (0-20), (70%-150%)
PE PS AT3-124% (80%-120%)

Do these results make sense to anyone? as my GP surgery nurse didnt know!!

Many Thanks Emma xx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It looks to me like you had the clotting panel run, and if they are all
textbook normal (which they appear to be) then I don't think there's anything to worry about. I don't recognize the one you had that came back as slightly high; generally speaking if it's only a little bit above normal then usually the doctors are not terribly concerned especially in the absence of concerning symptoms that might correspond to that blood test value being off.

It may be rerun at a later date to recheck it though. "one-offs" are a fairly common event; meaning - it's quite common to have one thing be out of range when running a series of blood tests. One-offs usually aren't chased down anymore unless there are other problems physcially that could relate to that value.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Emma
They are all tests for possible blood clotting disorders except I don't know what PE is, and I'm guessing PS means Protein S. AT3 seems to mean Antithrombin III.
Is there some reason, some symptoms that could suggest clotting problems, why these tests have been done ?
Has an ANA test been done ? If lupus is a possibility ask your GP for a rheumy referral :)

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your replies, the only thing i can find that stands for PE is Pulmonary Embolisim? but dont know if thats what its referring too?! :hehe:

Ive had 7 miscarriages, DVT in pregnancy (3 clots in one leg, 2 in the other at 21 years old), Endometriosis, Cervical pre-cancer cells plus alot of other symptons, My daughter has Henoch Schonlein Purpura, My mum had DVT in pregnancy, Arthritis and suffers with pleurisy, My maternal Nan had DVT, Pleurisy, Strokes, Discoid Lupus, Arthritis and Hereditary Angio Neurotic Odema and my maternal Aunt has RA but tested negative for Lupus, I think as my Consultant knew my history and my families she wanted me checked as she said she thought i had Lupus SLE with everything she knows about me.

I am changing my GP and waiting to hear if another surgery will take me on as my current GP just pats me on the head and brushes me off and to be honest after how ill ive been (and my GP commenting on how fed up she is of seeing me) the last few years ive had enough of not being listened too or anything being done about it!

RANT OVER!! :rotfl:

Emma xxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
With that background knowledge, then a Leiden Factor V should be run too (if it hasn't already.) It's a pretty common genetic reason for clotting tendencies.

Let us know what you find out from your doctor upon return visit when you're able to ask about these blood test results.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello again Emma
Thanks for reminding me of the background. You definitely should be referred to rheumatology IMO. It would be negligent not to. As for the practice nurse, it sounds extraordinary that she shouldn't know what an INR is, for starters.
You would do well to get another GP - this sounds real Mickey Mouse stuff.
:)
Good Luck
Clare

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry i didnt explain myself properly, my nurse knew what INR stands for as i do since i got DVT in my 1st pregnancy and have had to have heparin/fragmin injections as a precautionary measure through my next 4 pregnancies and had to have it checked constantly as i am classed as high risk when im pregnant (have had 2 children born at 29 & 33 weeks and had cervical stitch put in on last pregnancy), i didnt understand what the rest of it meant or was for and neither did my nurse, spoke to her this morning and she said PE PS AT-3 means what you said Clare but also Protein C? but she had already given me my Protein C result so still a little confused! :)

From my understanding of AT-3 is that is if it is low i am more likely to have clots so does an increased result mean i am not clotting as much as i should be? Just after my recent miscarriage i was told as i had been left so long by my hospital to try and lose the baby naturally (4 weeks that we knew of that baby had been dead possibly 7 weeks) that it could affect my clotting and i wouldnt clot enough (just getting over anemia too), i wonder if that is what is happening?! :(

I asked my nurse about having the Leiden Factor V test and being referred to a rheumy and she said my GP doesnt see the need from my results to do anything further.

So until i find out if i can move to another surgery and they have all my notes there isnt anything i can do.

Thanks for your replies and support :)
Emma xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts