The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Well, I finally did it. I went in to see, my dr. about high blood sugars..and lows, too.

He actually gave me a free blood glucose meter, and test strips, too! :)

I am not sure, how much money that saved me..but, I know it is a bundle..

In a way..This is a new beginning for me! Oh! I am on Actos..now.

Hope your all feeling well and happy..:)

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Sandy,
Yes you have saved anywhere from 40 dollars to 100 dollar on that free meter. :)

I'm struggling with blood sugar as well. Instead of waiting for my doc to prescribe a meter for me or have the fortune to get one free, i bought one to check my sugar. See i'm trying so hard not to be diabetic and it is the hardest thing for me to do.

Doc's say i should walk and watch what i eat. If i eat any less i'll be malnutritioned and if it wasn't for my arthritis, fibromyalgia and my 2 slipped disks in my back i would walk more.

Still I try, I even bought a new pair of sneakers the other day but i have yet to try them out,,, I've been getting exhausted from doing simple chorus around the house.

Keep your sugar low and your hopes high Sandy, i'm wishing you the best of luck.

Stay well and happy

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadie and Alwin,

Thank you for your kind posts and good wishes. It means the world to me, it really does.

Sadie, I will be thinking especially of you, with your struggles that sound so similar to mine. I can hear your struggle in your post. Yes, it seems we have yet one more hurdle to climb..but, with each other's help, we can do it! :) I am going to give it my best shot, and I know you are too..

I rode my indoor bike for a whole 6 mins today. I wish we could walk together, and cheer one another on in our plight. The ice and snow, are melting off our sidewalks..so now, it is safely feasible.

Put on those walking shoes..and, You Go Girl!!:lol:

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Do you know what Sandy - starting at 6 minutes is really good!

About 6 years ago - yes, yes, it would be very different now, but anyway here's the story ...

I went to the gym for the first time since ... was a teenager.

I started off doing 3 minutes each machine on the bike, treadmill, and rowing machine (probably 1 minute on rowing machine, to be honest).

I was in for the shortest time - there were 90 year old people doing more than me. I increased each machine by 1 minute when the minutes were truly comfortable (did not increase the resistance on the machines tho' - kept them easy). No point inducing a stroke.

Within 1 year that changed to 20 minutes on each machine, then a slow 1 hour on all the weight machines I could manage (again - with very little in the way of weight).

All came crashing down a few years back and have been in a bit of a state for a while. However ...

I am now starting to try to get fitter as slowly as I did then. I am trying to hijack my lack of fitness by sneakiness and stealth (to avoid flaring).

Last year I could not swim 1 length of the public pool without almost drowning. I think I did 4 lengths stopping after each length to get the water out of my lungs and lugs. I watched the little children being taught how to swim by the instructors, and copied shamelessly. Taught myself how to do a properish type of breast stroke.

I now swim for 30 mins 3 times a week, and can do 30 lengths. No - not without stopping - that would just be silly. I stop every 2-4 lengths until the blue tinge recedes and my eyes stop bulging. Cos that's just unattractive and the life guards might mistake me for a deflated beach toy and leave me to drown were I in trouble.

Tonight, when it had gone dark, and wearing a disguise (high collar, low hat) I cycled for the first time in 4 years. I RODE down all the down hills, FREE WHEELED the flat bits, then GOT OFF AND WALKED the uphills - same all the way home. Let me tell you - it's tough cycling the downhills!

Cycling the down hills involves not pedalling, but applying the brakes frequently and gingerly lest the bike wobble any more and you get hurled into a lamp post. I reckon this is a good finger work out, and your bum gets pretty well shaken about on those downhills too, so no need for those expensive botty wobbling machines you see advertised.

Was a doddle once I'd safely got my leg over without anybody seeing each time.

The hardest thing is getting started, but there isa point (I'm not there yet, but I know it will happen) when you actually get crabby if you can't do your regular bit of exercise. Going gently and not rushing itis important. No need to flare then end up in bed for weeks.

Walking is the best exercise cos you can nosey into everybody's garden and, if you get lucky, windows :lol: :lol:

Yes - sad to relate - I am one of those people and if you don't like it close your blinking curtains!

Wishing you both all the best!

Remeber - be gentle with yourselves. It was the tortoise that won the race.

:love:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alwin,

Thank you, for your encouragement. I laughed a lot, reading your post. You are a natural born story teller..:)

Yesterday, I did a minute longer on my bike..I will do it everyday, no matter how I am feeling.

I had already started losing weight (with no intent). I think from the Cell Cept.
So I am within normal range with weight now..:) I have been watching my diet , for a while now...realising, that I felt worse, after putting sugar in my tea, so gave it up. My husband is on a salt restricted diet already, with his heart..so, that was already a won battle, for the most part.

I feel, I am off to a good start. My wonderful mate, figured out the meter for me..I was too befuddled, to get it right. :lol: I am sure, within a few days, it will all seem natural to me.

And Alwin, don't tell anyone..:wink2: but, I am nosey too. When, I go for evening walks..I like to look in people's windows..mostly to see how, they have their homes decorated..:eek:

I have determined, that I will always have some degree of pain in my body. Even, on a good day..I have pain. I cannot stop, all together, because of it..I have to push on.

I ran a fever last evening, and my husband said my face was bright red..but, I still intend.. to do a minimum of 6 minutes on my recumbent bike. I watch t.v. while working, so I am not focused on how I am feeling while exercising.

Thanks again, for your inspiration and encouraging story! :) You made me laugh and gave me hope..

Have a great day Alwin!

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good for you Sandy!

TV is useful on those boring things isn't it?

I would love to have an indoor bike machine, but have nowhere to keep it when not in use. Well, not without getting really, really 'done' by my family, anyway. Grumpy beggars. I would station it right in front of the TV, or put music on with a regular beat.

I was very interested in your mentioning how much better you felt by omiting sugar. I have a very sweet tooth, am not diabetic, and have always taken 2 sugars in multiple mug sized teas and coffees throughout the day.

I drink decafeinated, but still way too much. Anyway, I am on my second week of using 1 teaspoon of honey to replace my 2 sugars, and I feel quite different too. I am aiming to take no sweetening and cut my mugs down to 4 per day, drinking other things instead.

I am not diabetic, but had some involvment with diabetes many years ago, and have a dear friend who has been 'an insulin controlled' diabetic for over 20 years. He cheats mercilessly and, sad to relate, it does get him into trouble from time to time. So everything you are doing is well worth while, and positive stuff we should all try to do, if we are able, irrespective of diabetes.

Few of us get started without some kind of warning. My husband had a 'wake up call' last year with chest pain. A few tests showed a high BP and cholesterol. He gave up smoking, started to go to the gym 3 times a week (for the first time in his life), cut down on his alcohol consumption, and asked me to change his diet. Hooray! He has even begun to accept that ... (ssh - it's a secret ...) he sometimes experiences stress! Like other humans. Wonders never cease!

A year later (with one pill a day to help) he gets really fed up if he misses the gym, does not miss the excess alcohol he'd slipped into consuming, hates smoking (I repeatedly fail to quit), and looks great. It has taken 5 years off his face and his jeans fit like they did when he was 17. All his readings are now within 'normal' limits.

When I get over my jealousy and stop sulking I might get to somewhere near his success, but I will be taking it very slowly. I think we do need to be gentle with ourselves.

I am well enough to attend a yoga class once a week. But I have been recommended a safe book for beginners too. Some of the poses are very simple, but make you feel really chilled (weird, but true!). You might be able to do one of the relaxing poses that straighten your spine whilst relaxing all your muscles for 5 minutes after your stint on the bike?

The 'peering in' business is the same for me. I am just interested in buildings, fireplaces, plants, fabrics and decoration.

You sound really positive. I am so pleased. Keep it all up. Soon the weather will improve, you will feel a little better and you will have achieved the best gift you could possibly give yourself - improved heath. Despite your condition ... in SPITE of your condition/s.

Take good care.

:love:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts