TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Hi, I havnt put a post on myself for ages, but continue to read other posts to help with any questions that I have.

This time I havnt been able to find any real info regarding the symptom I currently have so I am seeking advice myself this time, so I hope someone can help. My symptom is really bad groin pain on both sides of my legs (where my legs attach to my body, that is the groin isnt it?). This pain is sooooo bad that..... how do I say this politely? I quite literally cant open my legs!:eek: I have had an MRI scan which did not show anything and I have been told it is (capsule) I think that its the term that was used? I have been having Physio which I have been doing myself twice a day but due to no real improvement the physio is now trying to "stretch me" himself. The pain started gradually until I ended up as I am now a period of about a year or more! What I am asking is has anyone else experienced this? Did you improve? What treament were you given? It really is getting me down now.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Okay.................I am not real sure what you are talking about but let me say first....OUCH! I cannot imagine pain that bad down there, yes I can, I gave birth. I guess what I mean to say is having that kind of pain all day every day.

Since I am not following exactly, I am going to try and guess here and you can tell me if I am right or wrong. Do you have an encapsulated pulled muscle or something? I understand that you are having physical therapy and that they are trying to stretch you, but again, I am a little blank about the injury. How long have you had this problem? Do you k now what caused it? What does your primary or rheumy doc think?

I am not sure how long you have been on the boards, but if you need to be a little more graphic(just not vulgar) or something, do not feel ashamed. We all understand. This is a safe place to ask questions, etc.

Nancy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nancy,

Sorry I didnt make myself quite clear. I do not have an injury. This pain started mildly a year and a half ago of its own accord and has just continued to get worse. My rheumy said the pain could be caused by my hips and that the muscles in the groin area have "tightened" as a result and that they need to be stretched as that is was is causing the pain. The rheumy advised me that this can happen in lupus.

The pain is on both sides in "the crease" where your legs join to your torso.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Fairys,

Wow, what am odd thing to have happen. I can honestly say that I have never heard of such a thing, and I thought I had been exposed to everything...:lol:

1)Pain..............is NOT welcome. Are you on any pain medication, muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories to help with the pain that you are experiencing? There are so many different medications out there that you could be taking to help you, especially during physical therapy. Whenever I had PT, I always made sure that I took a pain pill about 30 minutes before so by the time I got there and they "worked me over", I felt pretty good and felt that we got more accomplished. I know that you said that this was not an injury, rather it just started hurting. Being baffled, I started surfing the net tosee what I could find. I found one site www.sportsclinic.net and I looked under inflammation of abductor muscles and found some info. Not quite sure if that is your diagnosis, but it sounds rather similiar so I thought you might want to look at it.

Not sure if you are seeing a Rheumy for this problem, but I take it you are. You might want to see a Neurologist or Orthopedist for this problem.

Nancy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fairys, I am wondering if you are dealing with the same pain I have had for years now. I had xrays done a few years ago and it showed that I have arthritis in my pelvis but I also have osteitis in my pelvic bone. It can be caused by playing sports or childbirth. It is very painful. Some days it eases a bit and I can walk pretty good and other days it hurts so bad that I can barely walk. I walk with a waddle. Occassionally I will get a sudden sharp stabbing pain and I won't be able to move at all for a few minutes. I freeze in place basically. I can't move. In a minute or so I try to move slowly and take very small steps. All my doctor has suggested doing is giving me a cortisone injection in my groin which I say NO WAY:eek: Anyway I would mention this to your doctor. Maybe it is what you are suffering with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Nancy and Holly,

Thanks for both your replys which were very helpful. Both suggestions on the possible cause are similar to what I have been experiencing and I have noted them down. Both the rheumy and physio are certain it is still capsicular where the muscles have tightened around the hip joints causing the restriction and pain. I will be continuing with the physio and will just have to wait and see what happens. Holly the osteitis does sound like me but I have had an xray and MRI scan which have shown nothing. It was "nice" to hear from someone who has similar pain, as its really hard and embarrasing to describe to people where you have the pain when they havnt had it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Fairys,

I have had exactly what you are describing but only in the right leg and all the hip pain is on my left side (hmmmm). Anyway, I did all the stretches and the pain eventually went away but I didn't have it anywhere near as long as you have. It must very painful and difficult to walk.

My doctor made me stretch as soon as i woke up in the morning (light stretching) and ice when the mucsle became inflamed and stretching if I planned any sort of exersize during the day. At this point I am pain free and hope to never experience that again, as groin pain was very painful.

A year is a long time to deal with that, I hope you get some repieve soon!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fairys, sorry for your discomfort. I am wondering if they have checked your lower back. I have groin pain in the exact same place you describe. Lower back problems can cause this also. You do not have to have an injury as degenerative disc disease can also cause this. I Have both degenerative disc and ruptured L4,5 and S1 two and a half years ago. So i have a constant irritation. There is also the possibility of bursitis of the hip causing this. Hope this info helps, Lisa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Sorry for my late reply I have been away. Thanks Weese and Frono. I have been continuing my stretches and have seen a slight improvement nothing major, but an improvement non the less . I think the reason I have it so bad is because nothing was done about it for so long. Lisa I think I will ask my doctor about problems within the back. What is L4 and S1? Have you been given any solution to your discomfort? Or is it something you have been told to "live with"?

Again many thanks to all who took time to reply, it really has helped hearing from you all. x :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Fairys,

I had groin pain very similar to what you describe that came on gradually (no injury). After an arthrogram and MRI I found out I had a tear in the cartilege/connective tissue around the hip socket (an acetabular labral tear). There was an Orthopedic Surgeon who specialized in doing arthroscopic surgeries for the hip in my area and he was able to fix mine for me in a day surgery. I was home on crutches the same day and back at work in a month. I am so glad I had it done because my hip is painfree and good as new now. You might ask about it. Have you seen an Orthopedist?

Nancy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a quick note to add that I've had much the same problem. The Dr's say it is in my hip joint. Mine is worse on the left side and the pain radiates through my backside - I call it my "Pain in the Butt"... Prednisone is the only thing that relieves it.

I ride horses - and this has been a real problem. I have been unable at times to move my leg back to give the necessary aid for certain movements. I've done Physical Therapy and it did help - eventually. I do stretches and that helps some too. Unfortunately - Prednisone is the only thing that really helps...

Just so you know you are not alone.

Janet

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fairys, sorry for late reply. L4 L5 and S1 are the last few discs in the lower back, sorry about that. My nerves are irritated in that area due to the ruptured discs pushing on the nerve roots, the pain follows the nerve path.

When you hear people talk of back problems with pain down the leg or into the buttocks this is what they are talking about. Some may just have bulging discs, they dont have to be ruptured to have pain. most of the population have some problem with these but some have no pain, some have severe pain. Everyone is different. Hope this helps you, Lisa

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been experiencing similar discomfort for the past 3 to 4 months and wasn't sure what was going on. But I suspected it was related to the Lupus, which I have had for about the past 6 years. When I told my doctor about the groin pain, he suggested pain killer and told me to call him if the pain worsened. The pain has not worsened but they have been more constant; nonetheless, I'll be following up with my doctor soon. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi fairys,

Your thread caught my sight as Im having problem in the exact same area at both sides. I have been putting it down to RA as I also suffer with that. Noticed yesterday was really painful as I tried to lift my legs and put them on the sofa and felt horrible pain as I tried to open my legs. Good job Im single lol.

Think I need to bring it up with rheumy at next appointment.

Eve

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Nodavidson & Eve,

This is a very old thread July 2007.

You might want to start your own thread about this symptom:).

Welcome to the site Nodavidson it is nice to meet you.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
204 Posts
:rotfl: trust me to keep getting it wrong - I will try and keep eyes peeled and read the date on thread

Thanks for letting me know Lyn.

Eve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I don't really have a reason to make a new one.
Just thought I'd chime in and say YES, I do have this problem, for the last four months or so. Both sides too, laying on by back and stretching my legs hurts like *bleep* and opening them hurts just as much. I figured it might be related, apparantly it is.

I will take it up with my GP on my next visit in a week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have severe bilateral groin pain upon approx 20 minutes of ambulation. I am assuming being that it is bilateral, it is unrelated to any form of inury, I am assuming it it related to inflamtion. My neurologist attributes it to Lupus inflamtion of the cartilage in both those areas. It is severe, crippling pain and prevents me from further ambulation once it begins. After remaining essentially immobile the pain eventually subsides, but returns again when I walk any distance. I am going to try some slow stretching exercises in a warm pool to see if that will help this problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts