TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just curious if anyone knows how one gets a Group B strep infection? Ive tried googling it, I know what it is but not how one acquires it.

I know its not that big a deal, as long as I am administered antibiotics during labor. Really want to know just out of curiosity.

A friend told me that you get it by coming in contact with someone who had strep throat...which does not sound right since we are talking about two very different ends of the body LOL :)

Thanks,
Sharon

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Sharon,

It is normal flora for some people. We all have bacteria on us - we begin collecting it at birth. Different bug feel at home in different places. For example everyone has E coli in the gut, and staphlococcus on their skin. For some people group B strep is normal for the perianal area/vagina.

We adults don't get sick from being a carrier, but if it gets in the lungs or bloodstream of an unborn or newborn baby it can make them very sick and in the worst case scenario it is fatal. What we don't understand is that many women are carriers, so many babies are potentially at risk, but even without prophylaxix only a tiny percentage get sick - which babies and why we don't know how to predict yet.

So, for safetly's sake if we know a woman is a carrier she will be offered antibiotics in labour. This temporarily eliminates the bacteria from her body so she can't pass it on to the baby. For this to work there must be 4 hours between the first dose and the birth - less time and it won't have had a chance to work. In that case, babies are usually given antibiotics after birth and watched closely for signs of infection for at least 24 hours after birth.

Hope this helps,

X C X

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cath!

Your answer was way more precise and informative than the nurse's at my OB's office :)

I didnt have this for my first pregnancy, so I just assumed I "caught" it somehow.

I've been on antibiotics for the last 5 weeks for a UTI, so maybe that will knock out the group b strep too LOL

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a form of strep years ago that settled in the arch of my foot, I was in excrutiating pain wearing heels to work, not fun!!
Good luck and hope you feel better!!:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok...somehow one of the words I typed created a link for an advertisement?

Just asking, is that part of this site? I didn't do it! :)

Sharon

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yes, it's part of the site. Joanne is trying out a new type of advertisement so it's nothing you did! There is an announcement about it in the Announcement section too. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was surprised to find that I had Group B Strep with my 3rd pregnancy (it was missed in my first 2!!! but my boys are ok). It is just one of those things that some people have. As long as you get antibiotics during labour, and don't deliver within the next 3 or 4 hours (this time may vary from hospital to hospital) there shouldn't be a problem. My friend has it also but she delivered her daughter really quickly (in the middle of the corridor :stretcher: !) so her baby went to the special care baby unit for monitoring and both were absolutely fine. Don't worry too much and enjoy your pregnancy and labour. I was even allowed to have my daughter in the birthing pool even though I had the group B strep. Just make sure that you get to the hospital in plenty of time and let the staff know that you need antibiotics. Let us know how it goes.
Lynn
xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts