The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from my first appointment. I really liked my doctor. She of course ordered a ton of bloodwork and my follow-up in in 3 weeks. She said if she had to diagnose based just on my symptoms and history she thinks I have Sjogren's syndrome and Antiphospholipid Syndrome. She reiterated that she won't know until all bloodwork is back. This is what she ordered: AMA (because I have elevated LFT's), ANA profile IV, ANA profile I, neuronal nuclear antibody, anti-liver/kidney antibody, anti-smooth muscle antibody.

Does anyone know what is included in the ANA profiles I and IV. I can't seem to find it online. Also does anyone know what the neuronal nuclear antibody and anti-smooth muscle antibody will point to if positive?

I feel like I am on my way to a diagnosis, whatever it is. I guess I am just curious...if I truly have lupus will the tests she ordered provide her enough information to diagnose if appropriate. I already have a positive ANA of 1:2560I just want to make sure that she hasn't excluded lupus yet, and is testing for that as well (I am assuming she is).

Thanks for any info on tests you can give me.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hurray! A good rheumatologist report!
I am so glad things went well and I do thank you for your sharing this good news. I need to read upbeat things as regards autoimmune diseases; otherwise it can get pretty :( on this board.
Health and happiness!
Douglas+

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I agree with Douglas, about time someone has a good report on a rhumie.
I'm so glad it went well for you, wish it went like that for rest of us.
Hugs.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I am glad that you had a really good rheumy appt. She has been very thorough ordering all the antibody tests. A couple of them I am not familiar with, but someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly!! I hope the tests reveal some answers for you. Let us know how you get on.

Deb

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I am really happy with how the appointment went. I think having the high positive ANA may have helped a bit...she definitely felt I had something autoimmune going on and I didn't feel I had to convince her. I did a little research on some of those tests. It looks like a few of them are specific for autoimmune hepatitis and liver issues which makes sense because of my elevated LFT's. I am still not sure what is in the ANA panels but I am assuming they are all the basic lupus tests.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I wonder if the ANA panels I and IV have to do with the ENA testing (such as SSA, SSB which are relevant for Sjorgen's in particular). The lab must use different notation when ordering a follow-up panel to the positive ANA test than what we've seen before - but I'm sure she is ordering the ENA (Extractable Nuclear Antigens) given her statements about what she thinks may be going on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maia- I think you are probably right about the tests. I am assuming though that she also ordered tests that would be specific to lupus too (at least I am hoping)

Through my 20's I was convinced I had lupus. More recently since I developed the extreme dry mouth and eyes I started to think sjogrens was a possibility. I still don't think lupus is out of the question. I guess I will leave it up to the bloodwork to point us in the right direction. It was just interesting that through my research I had narrowed it down to either lupus or sjogren's and she pretty much thinks sjogren's. I am sort of scared about the possibility of autoimmune hepatitis. Anything involving the liver sort of freaks me out.

Well, gonna get some sleep.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I'm so glad it went well too :)

Great news!!!

Katharine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.