The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many people have suffered with haemoraging after surgery and/or childbirth (even during child birth).

Can all this bleeding be connected to APS? Can bloods show signs intermitantly of APS? I have been tested back in Sept 2007 for APS I think, but it showed I did not have it.

I have suffered bleeding episodes once after major dental surgery (jaw operation) and with all 5 of my pregancies I had bleeding of some sorts.
Preg 1-spotted until 3 months then haemoraged after labour.
Preg 2-haemoraged after labour!
Preg 3-at 24 weeks had heavy bleeding until birth, then haemoraged!
Preg 4-miss-carried at 8 weeks!
Preg 5-spotted until 4 months, haemoraged after labour!

I do have Lupus, diagnosed Dec 2007. After Pregnancy 2 I started seeing a Rhuemi as I has many symptoms (now I know they were to do with Lupus)plus positive ANA. Never even imagined I had Lupus (did not know it existed). I never had test for APS and missed out on extra care during pregancies. My pregnancies were apallingly bad, I was so ill through all of them. I love children and wanted 5, but stoped at 4 due to my undiagnosed ill health at the time!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Short answer is that no, bleeding/haemorraging after childbirth or anything at all is not connected with APS in anyway.

APS causes clotting, not bleeding, so it is the opposite problem, even though the LA test shows a prolonged bleeding time, that's not what happens in the body. In our body our blood clots to readily rather than bleeding excessively. Confusing I know, but definitely true.

For those of us who are on anticoagulants (like coumadin) we can bleed too much, but that is because of the treatment, not the disease.

For early pg loss (miscarriage) to be considered a symptom of APS there needs to be at least about 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly) because early miscarriage is so common in the general population.

To be dx with APS you need to have a clotting event as well as positive labs.

Here is a great site about APS (the Brits call it Hughes, but it hasn't caught on elsewhere)
http://www.hughes-syndrome.org/

hth

raglet

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I did ..Can't spell it..lol :) I had to have packing put in my uterus to absorb the blood, after my son was stillborn. That happened over 22 years ago.

The Drs. never told me why I lost so much blood..I just remember, the nurse coming in for some reason and pulling back the blanket, and gasping and leaving really fast..

Next thing..I woke up and found out later when..they needed to take out all the packing they put in my uterus to absorb the blood.

Sorry, for such a long answer.
Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raglet you are correct about the APS.

What I forgot to say was that due to always having extremely high BP I had epidurals. Before the epidural they have to check blood clotting factor- mine always came back with top marks for that with a query as to testing further. Midwives seemed to be more shocked that I would bleed heavily after birth then suddenly stop completely very quickly- never tested futher for APS due to this. They were always more concerned after that my BP stayed too high for weeks after births.

My current Immunologist was quite cross with the gynae dept, as they never tested my bloods for APS during any pregnancy even though my bleeding was 80% clots. Even with my mis-carriage the bleeding was more clotted than not.

Take care all,

Love Lesley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts