The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just a guestion about hair dyes i get highlights every year before i go on holiday.But have not had it done since last year as i have got some hair loss at the sides.And a lot of split ends so it is kind of putting me of we are going on holiday in june to greece we go every year so any input will be greatfull.Thanks Elisabeth:)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Elisabeth!

If you do get them done, have a good trim and get done a couple of week prior to holiday. During the two weeks prior use intensive hair conditioners a few times and normal ones in between. There are even leave in conditioners that you can buy that are good for hot holidays according to your hair thickness!

Can't advise you on the hairloss side of things! I do still dye my hair as I have so much grey - I do have regular ore than normal hairloss, this did not decrease with not using hair dyes. Everybodies scalps are different and will react in different ways.

Take care whatever you decide and have a great holiday!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well i dont want to give u bad advice, but im my experience when i first started loosing my hair i treated it like a baby, after a while though (after it thinning so many times) i just thought to **** with it, im going to make myself feel and look beter and i did whatever i wanted to my hair, to me anyways, its worth it :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi

I would treat my hair very, very gently and only use semi permanent colours. I would stay away from lightening products containing peroxide.

I have dyed my hair with semi permanent colours when ever I felt in the mood for years - either dark auburn or brown (I'm naturally medium brown / red) to reduce the overall effect of grey, slightly thinning hair.

However, since taking Plaquenil I find that semi permanent colours do not 'take' well, if at all, and do not last long. My hair seems to be going a shade lighter too. However, the conditioners that come with the semi permanents are excellent and really make my hair shiny.

Whilst i do not always get the desired effect, they don't seem to do any damage.

Permanent colours have always wrecked my hair, making it very dry, and altering its texture - even when it was healthy, so i steer clear of them.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi,

I can really second what Alwin says.

Grey hair is pretty hereditary in my family - Dad's side and I've had quite a lot of grey for a while.

I also avoid colour at the hairdresser's as it drys my hair terribly but have also found that the semi permanant colours take less well and my hair is lighter. I also get a good effect from those conditioners, though again, for the moment, it doesn't last as it did but that may just be because I flared again pretty badly recently and my hair always goes sork of flat and awful then.

I cannot thik of going old gracefully - I am only 35!!!

Katharine

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Heh Elisabeth,

When in doubt, always ask your Rheumy about hair color. I have colored my hair for years, mainly because of the grey thing. I have down highlights, lowlights, all-over, cap, foil you name it. I go thru periods of where I start "shedding" and I always tell my Rheumy. Lately I have decided that I have always colored my hair safe and in colors tha people would expect. Well, I don't work or have to be anywhere as a public rep or such so I have fun with my hair. I figure it is just hair and it will grow back and if the colr turns funny, then there are ways that can be corrected. Last month, in honor of Valentine's Day and colored it bright candy apple red. Now that racing season is starting, I have colored my hair the color of my hubbys car.............bright bllue. I figure that you only go around once and I intend to have fun. Don't really care what society says, I feel very free and very much alive. Make yourself happy but remember to do it safely!!

Nancy

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am with Nancy on this one.... at 49 avoiding the grey or white in my case is my main adjective, but when I do have hair loss I treat my hair gently till it passes. I like my auburn color hair and color it with a medium auburn. Now if I could have my granddaughter's copper red, you bet your bottom dollar I would be coloring my hair that wonderful shade. But sadly I got the auburn color red at birth.

I tried going blonde but for too many reasons I stopped and went back to my natural color. The blondes seemed to hurt my hair more than having lupus did. All I do is thank God every day for my long thick hair and when I shed I thank God I have enough that right now I am not bald. :p

But I am like Nancy, you have to have fun just be careful and take care of you. And sometimes coloring your hair can be the lift you need.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I've coloured my hair for years, without a problem. I use permanent colours - over the years I have started choosing lighter shades, but I used to go for bright shades of plum, intense reds, all sorts, back when I had really short hair. With longer hair I just don't seem to be able to handle the crazy colours that I looked great with back then.

basically it is trial and error, and working out what works best for you.

hth

raglet

·
florie
589 Posts
I heard something about the health food stores, that sell herbal stuff also sells a hair dye that is delicate. Hope this will help.

florie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts