TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Havn't posted much lately but been reading to keep up to date with you all.

The thing is..........
I have had increasing hair loss lately while not particularly flaring (I'm one of those who tends to plod on feeling below par, rather than flare and then feel better.)
I'm wondering if this may be caused by too much sun on the scalp.
I'm not particularly sun sensitive but do use sun screens. Not so strict about wearing a hat though.
Does anybody know about or have experience of this.

Thanks and hope you all are as well as you can be

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi BigSis,

I have the same problem and I am religious about wearing a hat with a brim. My scalp would actually become red and breakout if I was in the sun too long.
Are you having just the hair, or is there also scalp pain. You may have to see a dermatologist for assistance.

Take Care,

Susan

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello BigSis

Um, I guess the sensible thing to do is wear a hat or some suitable head covering and see if it helps.
I wonder if you could be reacting to lighting in the NICU ?
Are there any other signs of flaring or disease worsening? Some thyroid problem? I hope you can find an answer and stop it.

Hugs
Clare

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
My hair loss comes and goes regardless of sun exposure, but I also have a lot of hair (thank goodness, because of how much comes out!) so burning my scalp would take a lot of work to get through it all...Hats are your friends ;) But it may also be a flare-ish thing, I also tend to plod along feeling ickish rather than have dramatic flares, so your "version" of a flare might mean an increase in hairloss? I just made that up, but it could potentially make sense.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again and thanks for the replies,

I'm thinking this may be early symptom of a bit of a flare.........wrists and shoulders aching today.:worried:

Applesauce ......you may be right...see above
Hope you are feeling better yourself.

Clare, I am careful about the NICU....a) because the windows are huge and so the place is like a greenhouse, and b) because of the phototherapy units (lightboxes for the jaundiced babies.)
So I use sunscreen daily. I do get dark red triangles under my eyes like a clown if my face gets any sun. Otherwise I just feel really dozy and sluggish with sun exposure but nothing dramatic.
Thyroid normal by the way.
Have been quite stressed lately with children's stuff and an elderly relative's worsening dementia plus other stuff.......think it may be catching up with me.

Ho hum
Will be more sensible about the hat in future:blush:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts