TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how many are experiencing hair loss, thinning due to lupus or auto-immune issues?

I've got the all over diffuse loss my hair has thinned not quite 50% maybe 40% all over. I've had a scalp biopsy no scarring thank GOD and nothing sinister - she thinks this is TE from the underlying disease

Wondering how many of you shed I hear that in flares you can have horrible hair until the flare passes. I think i've been in a flare for two years:wink2:

Thanks again for your input

p.s. I have not been diagnosed with Lupus yet but my doctor has referred me to a Rheumy she feels something is happening lupus like. Wish me luck I go in two weeks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi,

I also have overall hair thinning. My hair does return, but never to its original thickness. When all my symptoms are flaring, my hair sheds more. There is also some hair loss due to methotrexate and other medicines that I'm on.

The good news is I don't have large patches of missing hair, just overall thinning. I keep my hair short, I don't use harsh shampoos, and I don't dry my hair at a high heat setting. Keeping your hair moisturized will also help.

Be sure to wear a hat in the sun.

Take care,

Susan

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I suffer through diffuse hair loss too. It's definitely a symptom that tells me the lupus is flaring extra badly; I don't think I've ever lost more than 25% of my hair though. I get the "lupus hairs" growing back after the flare subsides (short little hairs sticking up all over the place - in great contrast to my longers hair). On the occasions when it was really bad, I opted for a short hairstyle so it's not so obvious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have the fun of thinning hair, have started looking at wig catlogs
now have the excuse to have pink hair or what ever in the mood for
always trying to find the positive. hope you can too.
take care

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I really do not understand flares as I have symptoms for years of SLE but no diagnoses until Dec 2007! Perhaps my body is in flare stage most of the time and that is why I have constant hairloss- I really don't know! I am self-concious of my hairline now!

Over the last 9 years hairloss for me has been quite steady and never seems to stop, but always see new hair growth which is reassuring!

The worst it got was before the diagnoses of SLE receeding front hairline and patches througout. Front hairline has never recovered in 3.5 years! My Midwife could not understand why it was happening so early in pregnancy (from about the time of conception until 3 months), followed by the steady hairloss that I get now. It was put it down to stange hormones. I did then get the pregancy hairloss when I stopped breast feeding too!

Does the lack of certain vitamins and minerals etc inhibit hairgrowth for some people. I do know that my Immunologist has run some bloods to check for other reasons for hairloss that are not Lupus related!

((IFEELOFF)) - good luck with your Rheumy appointment, make sure you take a list of symptoms, how you feel and family history with you!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi there, I usually only have hair loss during a flare, or if I am
upset. My hair loss is pretty even all over, and does grow back.
Good luck at your next appt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts