The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Independent has an article today on a possible cause for ME. "Researchers have discovered a strong link between chronic fatigue syndrome, which is sometimes known as ME or myalgic encephalomyelitis, and an obscure retrovirus related to a group of viruses found to infect mice."

The retrovirus, XMRV, "was originally found in men suffering from prostate cancer and it was this discovery that led Dr Mikovits and her collaborators at the US National Institutes of Health to test blood samples stored from patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. "The discovery of XMRV in two major diseases, prostate cancer and now chronic fatigue syndrome, is very exciting. If cause-and-effect is established, there would be a new opportunity for prevention and treatment of these diseases," said Professor Robert Silverman, of the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, who worked on the fatigue syndrome study."

"If the findings are replicated by other groups and the XMRV virus is accepted as a cause of chronic fatigue syndrome then it could be possible to treat patients with antivirals, just like treating HIV, or to develop a vaccine against the virus to protect people from developing the condition, said Dr Mikovits."

The full article is at "www.independent.co.uk/news/science/has-science-found-the-cause-of-me-1799944.html"

For so long ME sufferers have had a hard time even convincing doctors that they are actually ill - something we can all empathize with - so this is excellent news.

Merle

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I read the article and it is interesting. It would be good for all the sufferers to finally have found the cause.

Deb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.