TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time my husband was in to the pharmacy to pick up my drugs, the pharmacist was telling him what he read in an article about prednisone.

Apparently researchers are saying that they have found it easier to come of prednisone if the patient is given a (high?) dose one day and none the next. I was wondering if any one tried this or has heard of it. I'm certainly interested because I'm highly sensitive to prednisone and as the rheumy said, it is killing me. I've not been able to get off it yet. The lowest I got was to 8 mg. I'm back on 15 mg at the moment, but the rheumy is afraid to touch it becasue of the things that happened last time (pericariditis which lead to high dose of prednisone and now have diabetic peripheral neuropathy, which has had me in a wheelchair since last June.) I can understand his reservations, but I've had so many problems with prednisone.

Annette

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
no ive not hered tis, but i know where oyur comming from it gives you other probs doesnt it netty

Lin xx

·
florie
589 Posts
Prednisone,
That's what my mom is always on. She hates it and so do i. She is loosing her teeth from it and now i have to deal with her whinning. She needs to go to the dentist and is a big chicken for dental work. She just got out of the hospital and is still weaning of the preds. Her nebulizer treatments for her lungs consist of steroids too. i am so stressed out about having to take her to the dentist,she doesn't even like going to the doctors.
I hope when she goes back to her pulmonary doc on friday he doesn't put her on more preds.
Wondering if her lung infections can be caused by dental problems?
I am so stressed out with these meds she has to take. She has not seen a dentist since 1989 :eek:

So i understand where your coming from with the preds and adding more problems to your already problems.
hugs, florie

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Annette,
I have not heard of this or even read anything about the change in dose like that. I am so sorry, but you should ask your doctor as if there was something to know about that they would be the ones. It could of been in a medical journal and not in like red book or something you can by at a local store. I am sorry that you are having a hard time and I know the harm being on steroids for a long period of time can do to the body. I hope that you are feeling well and that you find the answers for your steriods.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have just recently heard about this myself, but have yet to try it. I would love to hear from anyone who has.

I have not been able to get below 10mg for over two years now. I'm all for anything that gets me off of the dreaded pred.

The following article states every other day dosing helps prevent adreneal insufficiancy. I'm certainly going to talk to my doc about it now. Thanks for bringing up the topic!

http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/prednisone-tapering-side-effects.html

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
During my last prednisone reduction my doctor had me try the every other day dosing. The day I didn't take the Prednisone I was worthless. Others on the site have had some success with it though.

:flower2:
Lazylegs

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
I've done every other day prednisone - my nephrologist said it can reduce the risk of side effects and I have a history of AVN and prednisone induced osteoporosis. I don't know if it made the taper any easier - it was a good taper, but we'd planned a short, intense course, so I wasn't on it for very long. Having said that, I will say that at about 5mg every other day, I felt like a million bucks - like all of my joints had been oiled, and I had boundless good energy (not the manic, 4am cleaning energy I had at 50 or 60mg ...) . Sadly, that went away when I went down to zero. I think it's just one of those tradeoffs.

·
Duncan
254 Posts
This is frustrating because I read in one of the threads on this site recently where people were talking about a high dose one day, low the next, then high and then coming down a bit the next week doing a similar thing again.

Sorry I can't find the thread again. I've been reading pretty much all of them as a new person to the site so I've looked at hundreds.

Duncan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback everyone and the link tbunny1. I see my doctor in early April, so I will certainly mention it to him. It seems it may work for some, but not for others. I'm still on 15mg of prednisone, so I'm not sure if that is low enough to try this approach or not.

I'll let you know if he goes for it and how it works out. I may not notice anything until I get below 10 mg.

Thanks again,

Annette

1 - 9 of 9 Posts