The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
not a female
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has done any extensive research or can share anecdotal stories about what shampoos and soaps are best for us. Or what is bad for us...

I've always tried to take a more conscious stance about what chemicals I put on my body and are in my house... Guess the shampoo thing didn't really occur much to me until recently, since I'm a guy and just grab whatever is in the bathroom.

I have developed a bit of a dandruff problem as of late. I'm not losing too much hair though.

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is a great question , I have found that since my dx with lupus my scalp is always itchy , so I have been using a dandruff shampoo to stop the itching and a good cream rinse to put the softness back in.

my hair has grown back wavy since I started using imuran, so my hair is totally uncontrolable.:lol: I have gotten used to having hair sticking up anyway it wants. and I am happy I just have hair.
it will be interesting to hear about what others have to say

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Many of us being women, I'm sure we do think about such things :rotfl:

My hair was extremely dry which led to an itchy scalp and "dandruff" like stuff :rolleyes: On the hairdresser's recommendation I started using a normalising shampoo and conditioner and have had no problems since.

I never use soap as I have very dry skin. I usually use an emollient cream wash which I unfortuntaley can't get here in Belgium :( so keep asking all my visitors to bring me that plus decent tea bags :lol:

I was surprised to see that by using cream wash and lots of moisturiser all my skin problems cleared pretty much immediately. I had always thought I had "combination" skin as they call it but it seems that all the problems were due to my skin being fundamentally dry!

skin care etc. is becoming quite fashionable for men now, so go for it!!!

Katharine

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Fenrus,

I find that the cream washes (QV wash, Cetaphil etc.) you lather up instead of soap is all I can tolerate these days. Then afterwards a good basic moisturiser like Sorbolene should suffice unless you have unbelievably dry skin like mine. By helping the dryness a lot of the irritation and redness can be calmed.

As for shampoos, I'm generally ok with most basic brands, unless they have a flowery smell to them, they dont seem to worry me. I do get concerned about the chemicals etc in them. I know here in Australia there is a brand called Alchemy which is supposed to be organic, but with all my other expenses I cant afford it. There are also Ego products for dry itchy scalp which I used to use, they make good shampoos and conditioners which are pH balanced like the cream washes that replace soap.

If you come across anything that is reasonably priced, works and is not full of junk let me know :wink2:

love
Lily

·
Registered
225 Posts
i have never used soap in my whole life, since i was small i have always used a home made honey and milk wash, an old recipe of my gran's.

as for shampoos, i actually opt for the pricier ones and use a range called nioxin. it is designed specifically for people who have had chemo or similar treatments and who suffer from hair thinning. i swear by it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Milk and Honey Cleanser

Mix 1 tsp warm honey with 1 tablespoon milk or cream.

This recipe should be prepared fresh each time.

it's that simple guys, and so healthy for your skin.

·
Registered
225 Posts
it's a great wash for sensitive skin, and because honey is a natural antiseptic it's great for any abrasions and such you might have.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ok, I must admit, I am rather a tight wad when it comes to buying special shampoo and conditioners. There are six of us in this family and there is alot of hair washing going on all the time, which gets costly. I buy Suave shampoo and conditioner. I do however, buy my own hair products that I put on my hair after I get done washing it. There are times that I lose hair and there are times that I don't. I cannot figure it out. So, I do what I want to it. I color my hair to hide my greys as well as color it all sorts of different colors. I have fun with it, shoot its only hair.

Nancy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kate*H;492455 said:
I use Aveda products. They are all natural , plant based products,with no chemicals.
Kate
I used to think that too, but sadly it's not true! They do use very good plant based products but they also use things that are not good. They market it very carefully to fool us :mad:
Most products by Aubrey Organics are completely natural and organic (still check labels). I use their J.A.Y. shampoo. Green People have some good products too. If you want products that are all natural and organic choose ones that are 'certified organic' or thoroughly check the labels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts