TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed an increased hearing loss in my left ear, as have others I might add!.

Going for my routine walk listening to my Ipod I noticed quite how dramatically bad my left ear was.
So reduced was the hearing that when I used one Ipod 'ear plug' and transferred it from left to right ear to hear the noise level difference it felt as if when in my left ear someone had turned the control volume down significantly.

Can lupus cause ear problems?

It is interesting that its the same side as the pain I feel in my gland/neck/throat sometimes.

Any advice appreciated.

Nicky

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Ipods can cause hearing reduction and this is much more common than lupus affecting hearing.

Loss of hearing due to ipod use is really really common, due to the way that the sound is delivered directly into the ear. I have seen doco's on tv about it, plus i have seen it happen in my own home.

Yes, lupus can cause deafness too, so either which way I think you should talk to your doctor.

My daughters friend who lives with us suffers from permanent deafness due to ipod useage, so if your hearing is being affected for whatever reason, go easy on the ipod.

sounds like it would be sensible to request a hearing test - but first up get a doctor to just look in your ears to make sure it is not something simple like build up of wax or fluid in the tube on that side.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Most definitely mention it to your GP, who can refer you to get a hearing test done and get started on sorting out what is causing your hearing loss in the one ear. There are literally a multitude of causes to hearing loss, including some autoimmune causes. Only the hearing doc/ENT will likely be able to sort it out.

I know a gal in her 60's who will likely be needing a tube put in one of her ears as there is fluid that can no longer drain out and she has markedly reduced hearing in one ear due to that problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts