The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here (see my thread in the 'not diagnosed' section) but just wondered if anyone gets pain that feels like it's coming from the heart? It's like I get a tight pain feeling in my chest, slightly to the left, with every heartbeat - it's not excruciating, but it is quite uncomfortable. I know it's not heartburn/reflux as I get this quite a lot, it feels different to that. I do get palpitations quite a lot too, and a thumping heart which makes me more aware of my own heartbeat than usual - does that make sense?

On a similar note, I have had occasions where i've been struck down with extreme pain in my chest which makes it very hard to breathe in - the first time it happened I was terrified I was having some sort of heart attack, so got an emergency appointment with a GP, who gave me an ECG and listened to my chest. Everything was normal, thank goodness, and he said it was muscular and would go away. It did continue for a few days after that, but got less severe. It has happened a couple of times since then, but not as severely - is this sort of thing associated with Lupus?

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
There are many things associated with Lupus that could cause the type of pain you are having. The pain could be caused by Pericarditis, Endocarditis, Myocarditis, Pleurisy, or Costochondritis. Chest pains should not be ignored. If it happens again you should seek immediate medical attention. You should also mention these episodes to your doctor.

On a side note, the gall bladder can also cause pain like a heart attack.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Princess,
I am most grateful that you asked your question since I have had the same pains you mention and obviously it was not a heart attack; that had been my first thought too.
I agree that such chest pains should not be ignored lest they be "the real thing" but it is a comfort to know that I am not alone with these pains.
Lupus is never dull!
Douglas+

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I get really bad chest pains that make it difficult to breathe. They do come from my heart and tend to happen when I am flaring. I have had my heart checked out and would urge you to always get it checked if you have any pain like that. Keep a diary of it and mention it to your rheumy at your next appt as well.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
212 Posts
A few years ago I had a very weird heart episode. It was long before I was treated for lupus. My heart had a very weird heart beat, it sort of fluttered. I did have some pain, but it wasn't bad. It was about 7 years ago, I was only 30, and I was wired up to an ECG and it was very abnormal. Was put on beta blockers and it disappeared after two or three weeks. Referred to a cardiologist, no real explanation was given and no cause was ever found. Was accused by the cardiac doc of taking recreational drugs :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your comments everyone :)

Well I haven't had any chest pains at all today, which is good but also bizarre! How can it just be there hurting one day, for no apparent reason, then go back to being ok!

I will mention it to my GP, along with a million and one other things :rolleyes: I agree, chest pains aren't worth mucking around with, which is why I went for the ECG before - better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so the heart pain has returned again today - didn't last as long as before, but was more painful :( I've also had a racing pulse and a feeling that my heart is beating out of my chest for no particular reason - i've not exactly been doing any exercise! I just measured my pulse rate - 102 beats per minute. eek! It's really doing my head in. But I guess worrying about it will not help it to calm down, so I need to try to put it out of my mind - easier said than done!

·
11,410 Posts
I hope you have gone to the doctor. Chest pain should be checked out. When you are experiencing the pain, that is the time you should get to the doctor. Then they will see what is going on.

Have you ever gone to a cardiologist? Maybe you could wear a monitor to record what your heart is doing.

I hope you get this checked out. Let us know how you are doing.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Causation

Howdy,
In your July 20 message you wrote
"How can it just be there hurting one day, for no apparent reason, then go back to being ok!"
Answer:
Because Lupus is a disease that completely denies any rational laws of causation. Cause and effect does not always work in Lupus. Sometimes flares, new symptoms, old symptoms: they just come and go fro not reason whatever.
It's unpredictabiliy is one of the nastiest things about Lupus!
Douglas+

·
Pamela b
424 Posts
Hi
I suggest both you and Douglas visit your doctor without delay.
I was hospitalised for pericarditis last year and needed fluid removing to stop pressure on my heart.
I had ignored something similar to both of you as it came and went and then one day it came very badly and didnt go away. It was a crushing pain in the centre of my chest which made me double up in pain and made it very hard to breathe it. Felt like a heart attack. The weeks before I had thought maybe I had an ulcer or something and would get it checked out at some point. ( I did not know I had lupus at this point ) and put pain down as just another vague pain I had without an answer.

I made a good recovery but now have a heart valve problem which we will never know if it was caused by this or not.
I have had repeat milder episodes since but nothing like this one and always get it checked out at once.
My cardio man told me that to the doctor it will sound as if your heart beat is muffled and is rare so a lot of GPS will not have seen it and may miss it.
IT can also efefct your blood pressure and heart rate he told me.
I hope that you both do get it checked and are soon getting answers.
I was given heart protecting beta blockers and anti inflamatory for it .
Regards
Pam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts