The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I just wondered whether I'm going mad here, but having always loved hot weather, the hotter the better, as it made me less achy etc, it suddenly seems to be making me feel awful. I have SLE which is pretty much under control but suddenly I seem to be feeling achy, faint, dizzy, just plain ill in this weather. It's not dehydration or anything, and sounds bonkers but I wondered if anyone else has this and could suggest any tips? I have two toddlers so sitting quietly in the shade with a fan and a gin and tonic is not an option...;)

Thank you!
xHatty

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hatty,

Sorry to heat your not feeling well! Apparently sun can trigger a flare, perhaps you need some extra meds to help you through if flare persits! I get flu symtoms, sore throats, very achy joints, muscle fatigue the list goes on just from being in the sun!

Take care,

Lesley

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hatty

I have CFS and I have heat sensitivity. Even if the temperature is somewhat warm, it affects me. I can't be in the heat. I am on disability because I can't be a crossing guard anymore because the heat affects me amongst other things.

I have low blood volume and that's why I get the heat sensitivity--I don't have enough blood in my body. Maybe that is what you have?

CindyLou

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Hatty

Gosh this is a hard one:worried: How to avoid the heat.... Its no fun being heat sensitive in the summertime. I am like a wet rag for most of the summer so I can empathise. I dont have two toddlers to charge around after though :hugbetter:

Some tips I found useful. I have a good quality fan in most rooms in the house so I keep the house as cool as possible. If I have to go out in the heat sometimes I wear a wet washcloth draped around the back of my neck. It does end up getting your clothes soaked at the back but it sure does help to cool me down!

Always wear sunblock because even if the sun isnt shining you are still exposed to the UV rays from the sun.

If you can wear very loose fitting cotton clothes it really helps. Anything that clings to your skin will make you more uncomfortable and intensify the heat.

Of course the best tactic is avoidance but sometimes you just cant avoid the heat and sun. Minimise your exposure as much as possible and if you are going out to 'play' try and do it early in the morning or late in the evening. I know its easier said than done with toddlers.

The thought of sitting in the shade with a gin and tonic sounds wonderful by the way;)

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi Hatty, all I can say is that heat is my main enemy. Sunshine is definitely a bad thing. And heat is too. I wilt like an old banana peel. :lol:

Seriously, talk to your doctor about the problems with heat. And then find some strategies for dealing with summer. I always carry water. Always. Drinking all the time seems to lessen the trauma of heat. I carry an umbrella that cuts out UV rays, but it also drops the temperature about 10 degrees when you're under it. I keep my eyedrops in the fridge in summer. And mostly I just stay out of hot situations.

Good luck and i hope you feel better soon.

Sunny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts