The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to all of this, I am alittle scared to be honest. I have found out that I have Lupus SLE. I dont really know what it is, can anyone in plain clear english just explain please??

I am taking medication right now so hopefully things may be alittle bit better.

I look forward to hearing from members soon, I am so glad I can share how I'm feeling, the best thing is you can maybe understand where I am coming from.

Regards,

x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there

Welcome to the Forum. Im sorry about your diagnosis but the good news is that you have found this forum. There is a wealth of information here and support and advice from other Lupus patients.

Lupus is an autoimmune disease. It means that your immune system has malfunctioned and fails to recognise the difference between bad cells (infections, virus, etc) and the healthy good ones. It can therefore attack any part of the body. However the treatments nowadays are so much better than years ago and most people live a relatively normal life with some minor adjustments. I hope this is the case for you:)

Here is a link to the main pages of this site where there is tons of information for you.

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/

What medication are you on at the moment? A lot of the treatment for Lupus is a combination of medications and it can often take time to get the right combination. Some people do very well on just the base line drug, Plaquenil, although this does take time to feel the effects. Usually from three to six months.

Have a look around the forum and if there are any specific questions please feel free to post them. In the meantime, take your time to absorb the impact of your diagnosis and get yourself informed about how Lupus is affecting you. It affects everyone differently so dont be alarmed by some of the posts here. Many of the members here are at the sicker end of the scale.

Take good care and I look forward to getting to know you
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Zef,

We "met" in chat! Welcome and hope to speak more soon,
:hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Zef,
It can be a little slow getting the right mix of treatment, but you will improve when this is sorted. Be patient, and don't be too scared, we all cope just because we have to. You will cope too.
x Lola

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi Zef,

Welcome to the Lupus Site! I am glad you have found us. A diagnosis of Lupus can be scary in the beginning. I have found the more I know about the disease the better I can handle it. It is called the disease of 1000 faces so it is difficult to sum it up in a nutshell. For me lupus mainly affects my joints, a little bit on my skin, some reaction to the sun and of course the fatigue that we all seem to deal with.

Most people with Lupus are able to go on living their lives once the medication gets things under control. All of us need to make changes to our outdoor activities but the degree of change depends on how we react to the sun. Most will live a normal life span, continue working, have children and many other things they did before lupus affected them.

What symptoms are you experiencing? What medication did your doctor start you on? My main lupus medications are Methotrexate, Enbrel and Plaquenil.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You!!

Hi Everyone,

Thank You All So Much for your replies!! It means a lot.

I look forward to speaking to everyone sooner or later.

God Bless

Zef x:wink2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts