The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)

I just started on Cytoxan 50 MG 2 pills a day. I have never taken it before. I am really worried about hair loss with this medication. Has anyone lost hair? How much was lost? When would I begin to notice hair loss? In the shower? On my cute little pillow? As you can see I am really really concerned about this!! I am still taking the plaquenil 400 mgs daily as well as steroids been bumped up to 30mg daily. She did take me off of the Cellcept while on the Cytoxan. I also take a huge amount of other scripts daily for other problems such as diabetes, sjogrens, fibromyalgia, coombs positive, Lupus anticoagulant, antiphosphilipid antibody syndrome...etc. There is so many more issues ongoing. I have lots of questions about some of the other problems as well but I will save them for another day as this is the most pressing issue at the moment!! I know this is alot to spit out all at once but I would be open to any advice out there. I love this bulletin board already. Thanks so much for letting me verbally throw up on you all out there. Or should I say typingly throwing up!! Have a wonderful day out there to all of you and God Bless us all and give us all strength.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi there!

Can't help with the query you have as I only take meds for IBS and Fibro at the moment. Just to say I'm sure someone will be along real soon to offer advice. Everybody here is just so fantastic I can't praise them enough.:thumbs:

Welcome and I hope you too are having a good day.:)

Mrs M x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome to the site! Glad to have you here... but of course sorry for what brings you here at the same time.

Hair loss is certainly possible with Cytoxan, I've never had it myself. I am more familiar with hearing from people who have taken it via IV's in hospital though than through the pill form so I can't even relate other's experiences that I've heard about here. I hope someone else will come along soon with some answers for you from their personal experience.

I do know that most doctors prefer the IV route over pill route due to their belief that the IV route is safer in terms of the bladder cancer risk (due to likely needing to take oral cytoxan longer versus getting a higher dose of IV cytoxan every few weeks for 6 months or so).

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes!

PS What is the reason for the oral Cytoxan? Kidney issues?

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
Hey, I am the Cytoxan Queen (feel free to applaud. Just kidding!!!!), lol, no, but I have had the full Cytoxan work-out to the point where I'm not allowed to have anymore. I had some hairloss when I was on the IV form, though a way that apparently lessens it is to put ice on your head. Either that or my nurse was just mean :p She claimed it helped. I did lose hair, but not all of it, and actually it was kind of cool, the top layer fell off, and underneath was bright red!

I'm guessing there wouldn't be too much hairloss with the pill form, I certainly didn't notice it when I was on oral, but everyone is different, so you never know. I wouldn't worry too much though :)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I am of no help to you as I was just dx with Lupus but I wanted to say welcome to the board.

I know there are great folks here that are super knowledgeable and will be along at some point to help answer your questions.

I hope you fair well on the new drugs.:wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MY doc decided on using the oral cytoxan after attempting to have gamma globulin infustions first. I was able to receive 2 out of the 6 month course and of course my Insurance Company would not approve any of the remaining treatments! My Lupus #s are really high with protein in my urine as well as sjogrens showing it's ugly head as well. I also have many other issues as well which are of course complicating everything...especially my blood!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much,glad to receive your message. Are you feeling healthy at the moment? I sure hope so!! Have a wonderful day!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well hello out there Cytoxan queen!!! (applause, applause applause)! Thanks so much for the reply to my message. Of course we all know it is what it is!! I will deal with whatever comes my way of course. I have heard many stories of people's hair coming in totally different after it falls out! That of course would be interesting!! Have a blessed day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts