TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I don't think I've been around since I started college (ooph! I can't believe first semester's OVER!) Currently we have a 3 week independent project term for January, so I'm sitting in a coffee shop editing my novel (woot!) and being mildly lonely because most of my friends aren't on campus.

I've been dealing with a just-not-quite-normal stint since the summer, had two rounds of rituxan, but my bloodwork is looking better, apparently, and also it was the first time ever that my doctor called me before calling my mother and told ME my lab results, even though I've been 18 for almost a year. Still, progress!

My biggest issue currently is these COLDS. I had one from end of October to mid November, then one from end of November to, well, I still have it. My mother suddenly got really worried about this, even though I swear I get these colds everyyear, because logically I had 2 rounds of rituxan and therefore don't have much of an immune system, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, because i'm living with my friend for the next 2 weeks and I'm afraid this is going to get reallllly annoying for her, and it IS annoying for me, I woke up at 5:30 this morning and spent like an hour eating cough drops and drinking water before I could get back to sleep with the coughing. I'm also in a choir for January and there are only 7 people in it so my voice kind of needs to be mildly there :p

Other than that it's just the usual. My fingers have been a little stiff, especially in the morning, and that's probably a bit because of the cold, too. i'd been doing really well on the whole being-a-girl thing until this month, horrifically bad cramps, but hopefully an isolated incident and not the endometri..osis? getting worse. I can't spell my diseases. Oh well.

On a completely un-lupus-related note, I got into an upper level creative writing class :) Only 36 spots were open, and mostly they are reserved for second years so I am veryyyyy pleased to have gotten in! My roommate got in too, so it'll be really really fun :) That's basically it. I'ma try and post more!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Applesauce,

It's great to hear from you again and especially to hear that you seem to be doing a lot better than you were in summer during that trip over here in Europe.

I hope things continue to go so well. I envy you that creative writing course. I have one to do too (by correspondance) but I am really hopeless at motivating myself enough. I have to write an article about an event for my next assignment and that has had me blocked for months. I mean, I really don't go to many events and when I do they seem to be conditioned by staying out of the sun, avoiding walking, getting enough rest to be able to do it.... boooooooring!

Katharine

·
Administrator
7,565 Posts
Hello Applesauce

Just wanted to say hi and well done for doing so well at college. It cant be easy when you are not well.

I cant give you much advice about the colds except to say have you spoken to your doctor? Maybe you need antibiotics. Other than that stay warm. drink plenty, make sure you get enough rest and plenty of fruit and veg.

I am sure that others far more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Hope you feel better soon

Deb

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Applesauce, I remember you. Well Done for all that you are doing. I have no suggestions for helping the colds and coughs, but just one thought along the lines of prevention. Have you considered carrying one of those small pack of anti bacterial hand gel in your bag. Maybe using that a few times a day would cut down on bugs being passed to you.
x Lola

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Applesauce

Nice to hear from you. Thats great news about the doctor calling you first ;) You must feel real grown up! ;)

Congrats on getting the spot in the creative writing class.:)

Not sure what to say about the colds except that it sure sounds like you need to be avoiding as much germs as you can :worried: To be honest thats a long time for a cold to be hanging around. It might be time to see a doc and get checked out to make sure you havent developed a chest infection.

Take care and stop by again soon
Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Applesauce,

It is great to see you back on the site.

I am glad to hear that college is going so well for you. Good luck with your creative writing class.

Have you tried salt water rinses before you go to bed? When I have an allergy or cold a salt water rinse seems to help dry up the mucus in the back of the throat. Also you should sleep with your head slightly elevated. Hope the cold doesn't last much longer.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got bloodwork done and there didn't seem to be an infection so basically i'm just being told to deal with it. Meh eh. I just bought a huge thing of orange juice so hopefully that will help! :p

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hey Applesauce,

Sorry your feeling bad but the orange juice and some good ol chicken noodle soup works wonders.

Congratulations for doing so good in school. Keep up the good work.

·
11,405 Posts
Hi Applesauce,:)

It is great to hear from you.

Congrats on getting into the creative writing class. Well done achieving it with being a freshman.:woohoo:

Do you carry around hand sanitizer? I know in college everyone gets run down and then passes colds around. I hope you get over this cold once and for all.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Applesauce.........good to hear from you.

It is really common for kids to get these type of bugs in there first term. Groups of people from all over bringing new viruses with them.
In the Uk they call it 'Fresher's Flu.'
Keep an eye on it though if it shows no sign of improving.

Well done on the course and good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts