TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had sle for 4 or 5 years now but have not been feeling well latley blood work came back really out of wack rh factor of 179 and esr of 32 what does this all mean? I had an appiontment w/rheummy at 4 or 6 weeks but he called and said see me today at 4. My lupus has really ever only effected my skin some minor joint pain,fatiuge and muscle achs but have nevr felt this bad.More curious about the lab results and what they all mean?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear that you've had a worsening of symptoms that brought you here though...

The ESR means you have a lot of inflammation right now; and inflammation=pain. The rheumatoid factor could just be part of your lupus as some people with lupus will have this be positive, or it could indicate that you have rheumatoid arthritis along with your lupus. The best way to determine the distinction is to monitor your joints and also to take x-rays to see if there are any changes to your joints over time.

You may need a treatment change, as in some additional medications used to bring your symptoms under control. I'm glad your doctor is getting you in sooner rather than later so you can hopefully get this flare up under control fast. It's possible even a short burst of prednisone will be used to get you feeling better in the short term, and medication change may also be considered. What medications are you on now?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello thenks for the reply i am currently taking 500mg of cell cept 2x daily-plaquenil 200mg 2x daily quinacrine 100mg 2x daily and i am currently on a taper of prednisone started at 40mg for three days i am now at a dosage of 20mg for three days.curios what to expect from todays appointment?

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Christina :)

Welcome to the Forum.

I am curious myself as to how your appointment went :) How long have you been on Cellcept? Its usually reserved for those with organ involvement, in particular the kidneys (although not exclusively).

The Rheumatoid Factor is said to be positive in about 30% of people with SLE. I am one of those that has a positive RF although I dont have Rheumatoid Arthritis so as Maia said it may not mean anything significant. However if you have consistent, particular joint trouble its a good idea to get them xrayed to see if there is any bone erosion which could suggest an overlap of RA.

Are they the only lab results that were out of whack? The interesting thing about the ESR is that many members here report that they are in a lot of joint pain yet their ESR remains within normal range. Did your lab results say what the normal range for ESR is? Mine is recorded as between 1-12 but many other labs record between 1-20 as normal range.

My own ESR is always out of range and has been for the last four years. It sort of bounces up and down a bit but I seem to have fairly constant joint pain and inflammation.

Best of luck today. Do let us know how the appointment goes

Take care
Joan:rose:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts