The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Well, I have decided to really start looking for a new rheumy and will have to drive much further than I want to, but I have to. I have come to the decision that when he says "do you think I am helping you at all? I really think that you are really just depressed and even tho your bloods are a little off, they aren't all that impressive anymore." I then asked what would impress him? and he said that wasn't the point and I wasn't paying attention to the real "depression" problem. I advised him that I am very in tune with my body and behavior due to previous bio feedback and many other therapies through 22 years of living with this disease and have always notified my care providers when I was feeling depressed and thoroughly discussed meds when necessary. He gave me the " I know better than you do look"

I have always had little problems with him, but he was so thorough that I overlooked a lot of our "little" problems. He has always stated that my PC doc could always follow my med refills and he didn't need to be bothered with the little stuff like that but to return sooner than the now twice a year appointments he has recently set and the bloodwork that is done every other month which is always copied to my PC doc and he talks to me more than the rheumy. Well, now the PC doc doesn't want to deal with the rheumy meds as he only wants to deal with the regular medical issues, so now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place between the both of them.

I don't want to have to change PC docs as I really like him but his practice is so busy, I can never get in to see him. Any advice would be appreciated. My pain clinic doc is a lifesaver and so far hasn't let me down....Thank God. I really thought we were getting somewhere with things settling down a little and now he just doesn't have "time" to deal with the little stuff because my tests just aren't that " impressive" I feel like yelling at the both of them and firing them both but this is such a small island and doctors are far and few between.

I am going to have to start asking around seriously to get this taken care of. I am feeling that I should definitely fire the rheumy and make a sit down appointment with my PC doc and just spill my guts about this whole mess and maybe he will help me figure it out. He is a great doc, just overworked and always busy.

Thanks for the rant everyone and sorry its long, but I have had it and I just can't take being thrown back and forth anymore. I don't feel it is professional behavior. OOOHHHH, I also read the last notes the rheumy sent to my pain doc. He stated that I was doing remarkably well, but seemed very depressed and recommended a long term stint of anti D's. The last time I did that based on his recommendation, I just about lost my mind and made everyone hate me because I turned into a total "b----" and yelled at everyone and had aweful mood swings. Came off of them slowly and I am finally back to normal. I am not depressed and this disease lives with ME, not me with IT.

The report also stated that he didn't like the treatment with pain meds but as long as the doctor there saw improvement and I was carefully monitered, he wouldn't interfere with that treatment. The gall of that man makes me so angry......anyway, it's Friday and I am off this weekend and will be resting, resting and enjoying quiet time at home.

I love you all and wish you pain free days. Thank you for listening and responding as I can always count on you guys to understand even when I myself don't sometimes.

Take Care
Jules:sad:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi Jules,

I can't give you any advice, but want to offer my support. I can understand your frustration. I have felt frustration on occasion with my Drs. I hope that things work out for your best.

Do you think you have a mood disorder? I think you know your body and mind best. Do you get feed back from loved ones, and or friends telling you they think you may be depressed? I would think you would, if you are. How do you sleep? I mean, if you were depressed you would notice changes in your sleep needs, appetite, and so on..

Drs. for years told me I was depressed. Of course I was, because I was really sick..Eventually, a person often does become depressed when chronically ill. Especially when others don't believe you when you say your ill, or in pain or tired, or exhausted.

Keep the faith in yourself..It can be a long arduous battle.

Best Wishes,
Sandy

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Jules,

What a predictament you have. In my opinion, any doctor t hat I do not "impress: or that cannot be bothered by the "little things", would make me so mad that I would kick him to the curb and find one that DOES want to help and maintain me. You may have to drive a distance to see him, but it may be well worth it.

Only you know what is best for you, but it might be important for you to really sit down and think about your medical care as it is the most importamt thing that you could do. I trust my docs with my life, as they have saved my life many times. I take my health care very serious and I have selected only the best and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Nancy

Nancy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You

:)
Thank you so much for the replies and continued support. I had a counseling session and she supported my position on not continuing on that Anti-D, however, reminded me that even though I don't "feel" depressed, I need to monitor my activities and keep a log of changes that are affecting me both positive and negative. I seem to have a problem with the newer meds affecting me negatively and having bad reactions. I finally had a sit-down with my GP and he apologized for his staff and all of the "mis" communication and is referring me to another rheumatologist. He said he noticed that the follow-thru from my current rheumy never came to pass. He would discuss new meds and then refuse to start them saying my case wasn't impressive at this time and has put me off treatment other than my current meds because he felt the longer I waited, it would just go away. Not happening....lol
Anyway, the hunt is on for a new rheumy and I may end up at a teaching hospital a few hours away, but my GP said the team there was excellent. I really thought my rheumy was just being conservative until he started putting off my appointments and not prescribing meds that he had just said he would put me on the last time I saw him. I know I have major brain fog sometimes, but I take notes and request copies of his notes after they are dictated. He just kept saying "lets wait a while longer". No thanks!

Again, thank you and know that everyone here is in my prayers and
I am wishing pain free days and restful nights for all.
Take care :)
Jules

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes

Sage Hen,
I'm glad you mentioned the feedback from others. My dad and I share a home and he is very up front about my disease and moods and questions me when he feels something is going on. And sometimes he stays quiet and let's me figure it out on my own. I am thankful that my work environment is pretty good and I have an excellent support system with my church and friends. Thanks for the reminder of the good things I have in my life. I have a lot of positives but sometimes I feel totally down when I hurt and am unable to function on a daily basis. That's where the depressive feelings come from most of the time, I think. I'm used to being "on" my game all of the time and most days I'm not quite there, but I am blessed and have a good pain mgmt doc and a wonderful pharmacist that I can talk to anytime about meds and effects.

Jules;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts