TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hope you are all well.

I've been looking over my blood test results and need to understand what the following results mean ( hopefully they are ok!:()

ENA Screen ENA Screen detects Anti-Ro, La,Smi,Scl-70 and Jo-1

This is how it was written on the copy I got off GP.

On a previous thread unrelated to this I mentioned Anti-Ro and it was said SCLE.

Any help on understanding this would be helpful so that I have a little knowledge when I go back to Rheumy on Fri 8th of this month.

Mrs M x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Mrs. M!

It looks to me as if it is merely the list of antibodies tested for, not your actual results. Do you have additional information on the page that includes your results along with reference ranges?

Terri

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Terri

After the statement that says what ENA screen detects it does list the following:

Anti-Mitochondrial Negative
Antibody
Anti-Smooth muscle Negative
Antibody
Gastric Parietal Cell Negative
Antibody
LKM Antibodies Negative
Anti-Centromere Negative

Are the above the longer version on Anti-Ro,La, Smi, RNP,Scl-70 and Jo-1?
Gosh I feel really silly asking you guys but I guess it's ok because they're all negative!:hehe:

Mrs M x

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi again!

Most of the antibodies that are negative look for involvement of the liver and kidneys. They aren't usually included in the first round of antibody testing, so your doctor is really digging. I'm glad they are all negative!

Terri

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Mrs. M,

Anti-Mitochondrial Negative
Antibody
Anti-Smooth muscle Negative
Antibody
Gastric Parietal Cell Negative
Antibody
LKM Antibodies Negative
Anti-Centromere Negative
These ones are separate (and very different) tests to those included in the ENA. He is being very thorough which is excellent :)

The only silly questions around here are the ones that aren't asked :p

love
Lily

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys!

GP was suprised at the amount of blood tests the Rheumy ordered for my first visit with him now I know why.

Hopefully going to ask GP tomorrow what the ENA Screen results mean.

Will come back if I get any answers and let you know.

Once again thankyou and yes you're right Lily about the questions not been asked.:)

Mrs M x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
With lupus, it is somewhat common to have protein in the urine, and it does not relate to the antibody you asked about. It is more common in those positive for the DsDNA antibody (which you tested positive for); however many people have the DsDNA antibody and still do not have protein in the urine as a clinical finding.

On the other hand, I am negative for DsDNA and still have protein in the urine (at low levels such as +1 or trace). So it goes both ways!

The RNP antibody you tested positive for can be positive in a variety of autoimmune diseases, including lupus and MCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease). However, given you are also positive for DsDNA your diagnosis of lupus is fairly certain as that antibody is more specific for lupus. Your signs and symptoms are consistent with lupus too...

Do you know how much protein was found in the urine? If it is a low level such as mine then more frequent monitoring is appropriate; if it was at a high level then more immediate action is warranted.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Maia

Thanks for your reply.:)
On the blood test results that GP gave me it said the following:

creatine urinary 15.1 mmol/L
protein Urinary 0.13 g/L
Not sure what these mean?

Just to say I saw my regular GP today and on the matter of the other GP I saw last week saying I had CTD that is incorrect apparantly! GP today said that anybody just looking at my files would think CTD because of signs and symptoms. Although GP said that nothing is showing up in tests etc but something such as vasculitis is happening as it's clear to see on my fingers:hehe: He did say that although diagnosed with Fibro on last visit to Rheumy there is definitely other stuff going on and although no clear diagnosis has been made they cannot leave me much longer without treatment for the possible vasculitis.

I just hope visit to Rheumy on Fri this week will shed some light and hopefully prescribe medication. GP suggested that I will probably have to go on steroids as they've left me long enough without treatment and things are still going on with my fingers.

Will let you all know how Friday goes.

Hope you are all well.:)
Mrs M x

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to ask Maia

I've not seen anything in results to say I am DsDNA positive. Have you got me mixed up with somebody or is it me confusing things with all my questions :hehe:

Thanks Mrs M

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Mrs M
Sorry about the ds DNA confusion which is my fault as somebody highjacked your ENA thread and I moved all the associated posts to start a new thread but forgot that one of Maia's. Apologies :oops: to you and Maia.

ENA Screen ENA Screen detects Anti-Ro, La,Smi,Scl-70 and Jo-1

This is how it was written on the copy I got off GP.

On a previous thread unrelated to this I mentioned Anti-Ro and it was said SCLE
So, the anti-Ro was the only one of the ENA panel that tested positive?

Anyway, SCLE refers to a specific sort of lupus skin. Many of those with SCLE do have anti-Ro antibodies but not necessarily, and many have enough criteria for an SLE diagnosis. Diagnostically anti-Ro can be significant for lupus and Sjogren's, all depending on what other symptoms are present.

:)
Clare

1 - 13 of 13 Posts