The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My son has just been diagnosed with mono and his 18 year old girlfriend has lupus. I am very concerned about her contracting mono from him and have no idea how this could affect her disease process. If anyone has insight on how this could affect her please share.....they are both young and I don't think either of them understand that this could have potentially devastating effects on her health and wellness.

Any advise you can give will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, obviously, I'm not an expert, and someone else on here might have a different opinion to offer you, but here's mine:

I wouldn't be too worried. While I was only recently diagnosed, I have most likely been sick for upwards of 5 years, if not more. I had mono only a couple years ago... I was extra tired, it made my spleen hurt, but I recovered in a few weeks.

I guess it would depend on exactly how sick she is with lupus. I was just suffering chronic fatigue, joint aches, and chronic swollen glands. My organs were not involved. But, she is lucky to have someone who cares so much about her wellbeing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has the "typical" fatigue, joint pain, stiffness, etc. No organ involvement to my knowledge. I suppose I am wondering if she were to contract mono if it would most likely intensify her current symptoms and if there are any potential significant risks. I have looked on the net and am not finding anything specific. My husband has MS (different I know but still autoimmune) and so I would guess that her body's response to mono could be different than that of an otherwise healthy person. She currently does not have a doctor/insurance so there is no one for her to ask for advice.

Thank you so much for the quick reply and I will pass that information along. We care very much for her...she is a good kid :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would definately avoid getting it if she doesn't have to. But I would doubt it's the end of the world if she does. But if she DOES get it, knowing she has lupus, she ought to be monitered.

Also... I don't have "lupus." I have undifferentiated connective tissue disorder. I may have lupus or scleroderma. And, there are I think, 6 different types of mono, so each probably behaves differently, and differently in each individual.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi there,

It's good of you to be concerned. The first question I would ask is what medications is she on. Mono can affect the liver and cause problems in some individuals and if she is already on some drugs then her propensity for this may be greater, no way to know for sure though. I would advise that if she does get it she would need to get a lot of rest to try and avoid her liver getting involved.

My own personal experience with Mono was prior to my Lupus diagnosis and probably demonstrates just how different we all are. It really knocked me for six and I don't think my immune system ever fully recovered from it. It revved everything up Lupus wise for me. What took a 'normal'person 2-6 weeks to recover from took me over a year. My doc feels it led to chronic fatigue and altered my immune system enough to bring about a previously fairly quiet lupus. Many people here found Mono to be one of the catalysts for their Lupus. Other people in the general population vary greatly in their response. Some get off lightly, in others it can cause changes in their system that their body has trouble dealing with.

You never know though, she may have had it in the past and not been aware of it. There is a blood test that can detect that.

Not a whole lot you can do really except follow the advice in that link that Katharine gave you.

love
Lily

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.