The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
luppielady
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya everyone

hope u r all doing ok and if not get well soon.

i need some advice i am so fed up at the moment.

last summer we had to move house ours was floodeed last summer, ever since its been awful. the worse thing to deal with is my bosses at work.

we r moving back home next week and i feel so excited but i need the week off work. i am tired now and we havent even moved yet just preparing to. i work for local council and have tryed to explain that i need a full week off to be able to cope with the move. i cant work and move at the same time. did they listen to me NO. they have given me the day we move off and the next day. they just dont undersatnd about lupus. i have dicided to take next week off sick but am i doing the right thing. if i work and move i will be off weeks. i dont need the added stress work r giving me.

many thanks sue (dinnerlady)

·
Dee
302 Posts
Hi Sue,
Because you work for the local council I'm presuming at some time in the past you will have seen Occupational Health?
I would try giving them a ring to see if they can help you, they would be aware of your illness & symptoms & how it affects you daily.

They were very good to me before & during the early months of my dx, I had to leave work on ill health, they were very supportive.

If you haven't been it's worth asking for an appointment to see them, so they are aware of how your illness affects you daily. It would help in the future if you have to leave work altogether.

Good luck with the move :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi, how exciting and stressful all at once. I don't have any good advice. Wishing you well and hoping all goes smoothly. I haven't been able to work since my first major flare that led to my dx. I'm not dependable at all. And even when I'm feeling the best. a small jolt of stress will send me reeling. If I get too tired I'm sick for a week. I think you're incredibly brave to do so much. Yes, I think you're doing the right thing.

Sunny

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hi, Dinnerlady,
The suggestion about Occy Health is a good one. I am also hoping you have family or friends who will help you. Grab any help you can.

Even if you have to pay someone it is worth it. (I find teenagers often want extra money and will work for it)
I know just how difficult it is,we moved without proper help and took years to get sorted!
X Lola

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi Dinnerlady,

Since you have already requested the time off for the move, won't it cause problems if you call in sick? I totally understand your need to be doing one thing or another. The idea of hiring some teenagers or Uni students sounds good, is it something that is possible for you? Could friends and family come in and help after work, including bringing you meals? One tip for the rest of this week and the next couple of weeks use paper plates and bowls for your meals, it really cuts down on the dishes that need to be done. It was suggested to me when I first got really sick again and my husband was so relieved to be able to cut down the chores in the kitchen.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Sue

Im sorry you are having so much stress at the moment. I wonder though can you reach a compromise? Say if they give you an extra day? Alternatively take some holiday leave if you have it?

Im wondering if you are asking for 'special' leave or just holiday leave? If its special leave then you obviously have a battle on your hands and I wish you the best of luck. If you have some holiday time owing or can take it in advance, my strong advice to you would be to use this time for the move.

Of course you can probably go sick on the days in question but how much stress would that cause you when you return to work?

I wish you the very best with your decision and I hope your new home brings you health and happiness

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi Sue

I thought Raggedyann1's idea of paper plates was a stroke of genius for the home meal times side of things. It's pretty short notice now, but I was wondering if you could spare a few minutes of the moving day to hot foot it down to your GP and ask him for a sick note? (covering the 2 days they have agreed to let you have, plus a week). I know we usually do a self certificate for 1 week, but he might be able to help make it official, under the circumstances.

If you go off sick and produce a self-certificate that should be the end of it really, but I'm sure your GP will understand.

That way it proves you need the time off to prevent further time off in the future, justifying your original request. It does not matter that you already asked for more time off and then gone off sick. What's more, technically, you will not have used the days off they gave you either.

In many schools the Occy Health dept. is just the school nurse, but if yours is up-to-date she might (you never know) has some knowledge of the illness and be able to explain it to your bosses.

I suppose you are a bit stuck re. holidays becasue they are based around term holidays anyway, aren't they?

I once worked in a private school and agreed to go in during the holidays to catch up on cleaning and filing within my department to re-pay some time I had off. That worked well for all of us too.

I do hope you get this sorted soon, it sounds very stressful all round.

Take care.

·
luppielady
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shera384;499826 said:
Hi Sue,
Because you work for the local council I'm presuming at some time in the past you will have seen Occupational Health?
I would try giving them a ring to see if they can help you, they would be aware of your illness & symptoms & how it affects you daily.

They were very good to me before & during the early months of my dx, I had to leave work on ill health, they were very supportive.

If you haven't been it's worth asking for an appointment to see them, so they are aware of how your illness affects you daily. It would help in the future if you have to leave work altogether.

Good luck with the move :)
hi dee,
thanks for your reply.i have been told by my boss that she has spoken with oh, hr, and peronal departments so why didnt they give me the time off. i am gonna self certificate myself for a week.luv sue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts