The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with SLE and Sjogren's in October of last year. My rheumatologist thinks that I have a "fairly mild" case of it (no organ involvement) and if it is to get any worse, we will know within the next few years.

(But of course, I am flaring right now and there is nothing "mild" feeling about this!)

So I just wanted to say hi. I've been lurking on these forums for awhile. Being diagnosed with Lupus came as quite a shock to me- up until last year, I was a very healthy, newly married girl. I exercised 5-6 days a week, ate healthy, and took care of myself. My husband and I were just making plans for our new life together...and now I've spent the better part of a year chronically sick. It's been stressful and frustrating, to say the very least (and I am sure many of you can relate!)

I look forward to posting here, it seems like a great community. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome

Hi there and welcome,

You will find this forum really usefull, people have some good advice to give and great support also.

Its very tough when you are diagnosed with these illnesses and it takes a fair bit of time to come to terms with your new situation and you will build a great life with your boyfriend around these glitches.

Its great that you are getting good medical care and looking after yourself.

Enjoy this forum and learn as much as you can about your medical conditions.

Look forward to seeing you posted here.:flowery:

Primrose

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi :wavesmile: :hello:

First of all :welcome:

I was in the same position as you 8 nearly 9 years ago, i was 25, been married for 16 months then bang, everything fell apart over night. Luckily it made our relationship stronger, but i can totally understand that it could break couples too. I hope your relationship is good still.

I used to lurk around the message boards before i plucked up the courage to join and i have to say its the best thing i ever did, this is such a supportive, caring and helping community.

I hope your flare ends real soon and you start to feel better.

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Yep, that term "mild" is very frustrating when we're flaring!! But, as you have rightly understood, it simply means that you have no organ involvement - there's nothing mild about the pain and the tiredness.

I hope you enjoy being an active member here,
bye for now,

Katharine

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Glad you decided to jump in..this is a great place for support and ideas..and always a chuckle or two :lol:

I began getting sick when I was dating my now husband..at first it was very difficult, he didnt understand and thought I was pulling away, met someone else..you name it! But I plunked him in front of the computer on this website and he read posts for hours- We are now happily married for almost 5 years and expecting our second child. Its hard work, but he is a blessing - Just keep the lines of communication open and share your feelings...sounds corny I know but lupus is scary and frustrating on both parties so best not to go through it alone.

Hope you are feeling better soon and enjoy it here!
Sharon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just wanted to say hi. I am 31 and was finally diagnosed in January of this year after my first and severe flare which has been ongoing since October 2007. Like you I was healthy and active and it came pretty much out of the blue and its only now I'm starting to get my head round it, along with my family and make adjustments.

But hang in there, and remember to use all of your support mechanisms, including here and hopefully before you know it, things will seem a bit brighter. Like Sharon has said, show your other half the site too and tell him to sign up. That way if he has any concerns or queries he can ask too. There are a lot of family members and friends of sufferers on here too so they will be able to empathise with a lot of what he might be feeling too. I'm going to suggest it to my husband as I think it would help him.

For now, please take care and keep posting,

Lynette

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the site.

I have to say I laughed at your screen name "hairsprayhead" I love it !!!

I was just like you , exercising all week long at gym, going to kids games, working full time, and had a social life. Then Lupus. I can understand totally. It does stink!

But I am glad that you found this site as it is very helpful and alot of friendly people here.

Nice to meet you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts