The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Being tested today for lupus as had a very very bad flare up on my ankle where I was put in plaster for 3 weeks to try and ease the pain. OMG I have pains but never anything like this. Hospital today say ive raised inflammatry markers. Will know more in 3 weeks but told lupus is a strong possibility. Anyone know of these symptoms. I'm totally in the dark here. My cast came off today and although I havnt got the pain like it was (couldnt move my foot) it still hurts in the joint and scared its gonna come back. If it is lupus what helps it, tabs etc and what does it mean for me? To be honest I've read up on it just now and it does sound like what I had but surely the internet is a bad thing. Only lupus people know the truth so please can anyone talk to me about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Jacdore and welcome :)

The internet is indeed a double-edged sword. It is full of very useful information but also a lot of outdated and even "wrong" information.

Generally we say to people that if it is over 5 years old, then you need to consider it as outdated. Limiting research to reputable support sites like this one and major hospital sites is usually the best approach. Also be wary of any sites whose underlying aim is commercial.

I'm not sure if your symptoms sound "familiar" as you have only mentioned a problem with your ankle. Obviously raised inflammatory markers need checking out and it seems like that is being done. I also presume that your doctors have a reason to suspect lupus if it has been mentioned.

You will find a list of typical "classification" criteria at this link. It may help you to see if your other symptoms fit.

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33123

If it is lupus there are several medication options starting with the baseline treatment for lupus which is plaquenil. It is an anti-malarial drug which is generally very safe and well tolerated and which works over the long-term (it often takes between 3-6 months to start working, sometimes longer) to reduce the frequency and severity of flares.

Other medication can be added to that, either to bring shorter-term relief before plaquenil kicks in, or as a supplement when disease activity is not sufficiently under control.

The long-term outlook for lupus patients is generally very positive with the correct treatment and people will see, at the very least, a huge improvement in their quality of life with many people able to go back to leading normal/near normal lives.

I have stressed that last point because this forum is not necessarily representative to a new person here of the general lupus population. Many people who post here have more complex (and rarer) ongoing problems or they are not yet diagnosed/newly diagnosed. I wouldn't want you to be "scared" by some of the stories you read :)

I hope that helps a bit, feel free to ask any other questions you have, we have a lot of very knowledgeable members here.

Katharine

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi Jacdore:

I am glad you found us! Although I am sorry for the reason. I cannot help with the specifics of your ankle pain, however joint and muscle pain are fairly common in Lupus and there are medications that can help ease them somewhat. Plaquenil is usually the fisrst line of treatment for autoimmune diseases. It is an anti-malerial that seems to help alot in these situations. There are very few and rare side effects so it is a safe course of treatment as well. The only thing with it is that it can take several months to start to take affect so patience is required in the beginning.

This is a great place with wonderful understanding people who have "been there, done that" about alot of the things you are going through and may go through in the future.

Please, realize that even here, many of the people who post regularly are the ones most affected by their the disease, others are out there living life and suffer only mildly if at all. Not all of the imapcts of lupus hit every person, so don't be frightened by some of the stuff you read here either.

People here are helpful, supportive and friendly, so feel free to ask any questions, or just come here to whine when you need it. We will all be here to help you through this difficult time and even in the good times if you can find the time tro post!

You are right that the internet is a scary place, please don't believe everything you read, and anything over five years old is definately not indicative of Lupus treatment today.

We have a great chat room, so drop on in there as time allows as well.

Again. welcome to the site - Stephanie

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Jacdore,
Hi and welcome to the site. There are many areas here that give you an idea of what lupus is and what you can face in the future. Lupus is very different for everyone with it. The meds used to treat lupus also work differently for everyone. What may work for one may not work for you. We also have a chat room that can be of some help to you as you get to ask questions and get feedback right away from others with lupus.

I hope that you feel better soon and find an answer to all your questions. Good luck with the cast coming off. With any luck the rest has made things better for you. Reading some of the some posts often triggers things that you don't even relate to lupus and can tell your doctor about them.

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site Jacdore.

It is not unusual to not be able to move your foot after it has been casted for a period of time. You should however gently try moving it off and on during the day. I found applying heat before trying to exercise the foot helped.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts