The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the doctor with I assume an unrelated problem. I have a shoulder that I am having problems moving, like it is freezing up on me, so he gave me exercises and antiinflamatory drug (I cant spell). Then I asked him to see if I had any records of when I was diagnosed with Lupus years ago by another doctor and he couldnt find the records. I couldnt remember who the doctor was or how bad the lupus was. So I had another ANA Screen done. These test results are greek to me. Maybe someone here can explain to me if it is real serious or not? ANA Screen came back positive. It said
ANA Pattern Antinuclear Antibodies
Centromere >OR=1:1280 titer

This is all Greek to me, can someone decipher it for me? This physician assistant that I went to see and got this test is setting me up with a Rheumatologist for this too but I am curious what this test results me.

If anyone can help, it surely would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa::)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lisa :)

The presence of antinuclear antibodies at high titres such as 1:1280 certainly indicates an autoimmune connective tissue disease such as lupus if there are also other symptoms of disease. As you may know lupus is very individual and actual disease activity and severity isn't necessarily indicated by lab results. ANA isn't always indicative of disease activity,

The centromere refers to a cell pattern seen on microscope. The pattern might indicate or confirm some of the symptoms in which a connective tissue disease like lupus shows itself. It might be associated with a set of symptoms such as hard skin on fingers and difficulties swallowing and Raynauds disease when the fingers turn colour in response to extremes of temperatures.

Maybe you have been experiencing general symptoms that you didn't think much about, just put down to aging or something.

The main thing is to get a thorough check up to get a better idea of what might be going on. Further antibody testing should be done; a complete blood count can show up numerous abnormalities that can be disease associated and might be having an impact on your general health such as anemias. Not forgetting urine. If you haven't had a lupus check up for a while then it's a good idea anyway.

Have a look at the info section of the site for symptoms, blood tests and diagnosis.

Don't panic ! The possible significance of lab tests has to be considered in an overall context. Let us know how you get on please and good luck.

:)
Clare

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site, it is a great place to find info and support.

Clare has given you excellent advice and I can't really add anything.

Join us in chat sometime!

Deb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.