TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Nicki. I live in Texas, US...I was diagnosed with Lupus last summer, though I think I have had it much longer. I have systemic lupus my doctor thinks, or possibly some other connective tissue disease. My rheum is leaning more towards lupus though due to symptoms. I am having lots of flares right now..its very frustrating and we can't seem to get my medications right. Anyway, I have been looking for places to find support and I am glad I found this site. My symptoms are frequent infections, widespread swelling, but predominately in my hands. I do have the malar rash also along with occasional pleursy (sp)? I try to do the best I can but it is so hard sometimes.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi Nikki
I want to say welcome first of all to such a wonderful supportive sight>i do understand how hard it can be to get the right meds.It took awhile for me also but overall pain wise doing much better.I hope your doctor can get you to the point you can be comfortable also((((hugs)))).If you have any questions just ask as there is always someone that can help you.

Tammy

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome to the site - sorry for what brings you here of course. You've found a great place for information and support.

Are your frequent infections likely caused by your medications (like prednisone or stronger immunosuppressants)? I, in recent years, also suffer from increased infections (sinus and ear and eye infections, and gastrointestinal bugs too). I found out it's probably due to an IgA deficiency combined with a youngster at home who is of course a germ magnet!

What medications are you on presently? What have you tried in the past? Hopefully before too much longer you'll get to feeling better due to medication or just one of those remissions we can get from time to time.

Take care...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Medications I am on

Thank you for posting to me. I love making new friends and especially ones that know what I am going through. As for your question Maia, I have had issues with infections for quite some time, at least 3-4 years. I tend to get lots of intestional, sinus, ear, skin and female related infections (think you can get my drift lol). It may be due to my medication I am not sure. I take these things daily, plaquenil 400mg daily, prednisone 5mg daily (sometimes I have to increase it), folic acid, calcium supplement, prilosec and once weekly I get an injection of methotrexate... (.84 cc). I work in a fish bowl lol ( a customer service call center) where everyone is sick at some point or another and pass it all along to me. Do my best to stay away from them all.. but doesn't always work. The swelling in my hands is just really annoying, so I am going to ask my rheumy what else we can do about it. Send me tips if you have any. Need all the support I can get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts