TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have never used a forum before, so please forgive me if I do things wrong. I have recently been told I have Lupus. Could anyone rplease tell me if it is normal to experience pins and needles in my left thumb and forefinger.
I lso have a dull ache in my left arm. Went to see GP today and he said if Iget chest pain go A and E. (Not very helpful)
Anyway here goes for my first message. Ihope it appears on screen!!!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there and welcome :)

Is it your GP or a rheumatologist who diagnosed you with lupus? I hope you have been referred to a rheumatologist.

It's not easy to say if a symptom or other is "normal" as so many people experience so many different things with lupus and there are also so many reasons why you may experience those pins and needles. Definitely something to mention to the rheumatologist and not really normal but maybe not particularly serious.

That was a very weird comment from your GP about chest pain. I would think most of us would think that A and E is a good idea if we had chest pain! Is there a particular reason why he singled out chest pain? Have you had problems breathing or pain in your chest?

I hope you enjoy being here with us on the site. There is a wealth of experience, great support and loads of really nice people here.

Please remember when looking through posts that those who post here most often are newly diagnosed like yourself, not yet diagnosed and looking for answers or the rarer more seriously ill people. Just so that you don't "panic" reading some of the posts. There is every reason to believe that once your medication gets underway you will feel a whole lot better and go back to leading a pretty normal life even if with a few adjustments.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
From reading your post, I am thinking that you might have some pressure on a nerve in your arm/hand that is causing some tingling in those two fingers & it can also cause some pain in your arm as well. This can happen pretty commonly with lupus when inflammation/swelling puts pressure on nerves. As you treat the lupus, and get it under control things like that should improve. This is definitely something you should mention to your rheumy at your next appointment.

There are many other causes as well, & I am guessing because it was in your *left* arm the doctor is telling you to come back if you have chest pain because that would signal heart attack. It's probably not anywhere near as likely a possibility for you though as nerve compression! So rather strange this doctor went straight there. For women there are numerous other symptoms of heart attack that should have been mentioned as well though.

Take care and welcome to the site. You did a fine job of posting - it all worked out perfectly! :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi and welcome,
This almost sounds like it could be beginning symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome.
I have inserted this link for you to have a look at.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=88&sectionId=10#

I have had carpel tunnel although it is not too bad and this does sound a bit like it.

Sounds a bit strange your gps reaction to your chest pains, did he listen into your chest?

Hope these things resolve themselves for you soon.

Sorry about your diagnosis

Cassie :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hello Happy, Big welcome to you. Please do not worry about making mistakes when you post. For one thing you have managed perfectly and for another we are not ogres!!!!
x Lola

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your support I will look forward to having contact with others. i do hope i can work this site out and have a chat etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts