The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it means to have high calcium? i dont know what it means, but my doctor retested me. has anyone ever had theirs come back high? if so what was the outcome?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Sushi

It can mean any number of things and like most blood test results its significance will depend on other tests, symptoms and examination.

I had high calcium levels last year but next time they were tested they were fine. :)

What has your doc said ?

Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Clare how are you, i hope youre doing well. actually it was my endocrinologist that was going over my blood test and discovered this.

he is new to this office and spend so much time in the computer during my visit because everything is so new to him, that i forgot to ask him what it meant. he is retesting me next week on a fast diet, actually a couple of tests including blood glucose. thanks Clare.:)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Glad your endocrinologist will be following this up. Sometimes a high calcium can be due to a faulty parathyroid gland, but there will usually be other blood test and scan results to confirm if this is the case. Parathyroid problems can cause quite a variety of symptoms, including some of the ones I recall you talking about in the past.

But all too often, it's just a one-off test and things go back to normal the next round of testing so it could just be one of those too. Let us know how it turns out for you...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maia i know that i shouldnt do this but everytime i am curious about something i tend to turn to the internet. does parathyroid have anything to do with cancer. im am really very confused right now and scared right now.

sorry Maia, im just a nervous reck right now:(

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Parathyroid problems that cause high blood calcium levels are almost never cancerous; but often there will be a small NON-cancerous growth on a parathyroid gland. Surgery takes care of the problem quite successfully; and relief is nearly instantaneous.

This is all **if** this is the underlying cause for your high blood calcium. :)
As always, do your best to stay calm! Realize, that the more often you go in for bloodwork, the more likely you will have one or two "off" values out of the normal range just due to chance variation alone which means nothing. Hence, why tests are repeated later.

Only if things are consistently high or low on repeated measures are they a concern for most doctors; or if the blood test result really fits in with symptoms being experienced at the time blood was drawn. This is why doctors don't get too worked up over a "one-off" measure on a blood test; and why we as patients shouldn't either ;)

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
I went back on Prednisone about 2 months ago, and added a calcium and vitamin D supplement to my regimen on the recommendation of my nephrologist. My next round of tests came back showing high levels of blood calcium, and my GP asked me to stop the supplements. Calcium levels have been fine ever since.

No idea if dietary calcium is related to blood levels. I had thought if you were ingesting too much calcium it was just excreted in your urine, with no possibility of it building up in your bloodstream, but maybe my poorly functioning kidneys weren't doing that very effectively, or I'm way off base on my assumption about excess calcium being filtered out of the blood by the kidneys.

Either way, it's fine now.

Cheers,

Lisa

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi

I have also noticed that my blood calcium levels have been high the last few times they have been tested, i asked an endocrinologist about it, he didnt seem to bothered and said not to worry?
So sorry i dont know why calcium levels are high or what to do about it? but just thought id reasure you that my doc didnt seem particularly bothered.
Take care,
x x x x x x

·
Registered
251 Posts
High blood calcium

Ocean1;548732 said:
Hi

I have also noticed that my blood calcium levels have been high the last few times they have been tested, i asked an endocrinologist about it, he didnt seem to bothered and said not to worry?
So sorry i dont know why calcium levels are high or what to do about it? but just thought id reasure you that my doc didnt seem particularly bothered.
Take care,
x x x x x x
The reason the high calcium is in your blood results could be because it is being leached out of your bones setting you up for ostoporosis. This is also common with hyperparathyroidism. It takes a proactive doctor to take the results seriously.
http://www.parathyroid.com/parathyroid-disease.htm

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you very much for replying to my post. i will let you know what happens when i get my labs back.:):)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got my 2nd clacium test results back and it came back slightly above the normal range which was 10.3. i have an appt with the endocrinologist on the 24th. im really concern because i was told by a family member that even if its a little high that something might be going on. what should i ask the doctor when i see him about this. should i request that my parathyroid be checked out.

should i request a bone density test? the lab tech told me that the reason why it came back slightly high could be caused by my blood sugar level.
which i got tested for again, but havent gotten the results back.

im just worried that if its my parathyroid thats off i will eventually develop severe oteoparosis and i want to do whatever is possible to avoid this.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Hi Sushi,

I would only talk to my doctor about this.

Does your relative have the initials "MD" behind their name? Some people think they are doctors without getting the education.

Wait for the tests to come back before you start to worry so much.:there:

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Ask your doctor what he plans on doing based on the two abnormal results; and what he thinks it could be. If he doesn't mention parathyroid issue then ask him if he thinks it should be looked into and why/why not.

Never want to self diagnose, but always good to look out for yourself and ask questions. In all likelihood, it's nothing too terribly serious ;)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had an appt with my endo yesterday. my test results were fine except for my calcium at 10.3 he said theres 2 reasons why my calcium level is high.
one vitamin d difenciency and 2 my parathyroid. i really hope its not my parathyroid because im really scared to get surgery.:(

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi all i hope everyones doing well, i got all my blood test results back including urine, all came back normal. he said my parathyroid test also came back normal but he wants to see me again in december to test my calcium again. its the only thing i had abnormal at 10.3. i read somewhere in the internet that at 10.3 is not normal. and if the doctor doesnt do anything about it that i should get a 2nd opinion......

i guess im concerned because im afraid of loosing calcium and then it turning into something more severe like oteoporosis. or another condition.

thanks.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.