TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am hoping to get some input from my fellow Lupies. I am just for the record 139lbs and 5'3" tall. I have had an on going battle with my Cholestrol and Tri's. I am on Tricore for both and it seems I am losing the battle. Had my blood drawn on Friday and the the Cholestrol is 250 and Tri's are 345!!!! Both should be under 200. I eat pretty healthy and it is still not working!!!! Does anyone else have this concern:worried:?

I did see the Hem/Onc Dr. also and am still being watched for the NHL but so far it has not raised its little head anywhere else and I am due for a Mammo this week so we will see. Seems all my other labs are good but this.....Someone please tell me I am not alone in this:sad:

:wink2: Just waiting for all your reply's.....Hugs, Denise

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello Harleymom!

I am in the same boat. I am 172cm tall and 58 kilos. My Cholesterol is way to high. Partially is that from Cortison, on the other side I have nephrotic syndrome, so I lose about 3,5 grams of Protien in my Urine per day. Do you have kidney problems? do you take Cortison as well? both of things contribute to high cholesterol. As well as simple genetics. I don't take any medication for the cholesterol, my doc doesn't seem to concerned about it. He says with so much protien loss it is impossible to get the cholesterol in a normal range. I wish I could offer you better advice, but Noone seems to have the answer.

Good luck,
Monique

PS I assume NHL is Non-hodgkins Lymphoma? I hope it keeps it's head in the sack where it belongs!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Monique,
Thank you for your information. I do not have kidney problems and am not on an cortisone. I will be seeing my Rheumy next week and will be looking for some answers. Everything else is going well so happy about that for now.
Again many thanks,:blush:
Denise

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:hehe: Sorry Monique,
I did not read the "PS" and yes it is Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma and I agree keep it buried for a long time.....
(((hugs)))
Denise

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sometimes there's no reason for these sorts of things (in terms of something you can do about it!). I knew a gal in grad school that had sky high cholesterol and was at a perfect weight (& only in her mid 20s too!). I think her cholesterol was almost 500.

My husband is at a good weight and has about the same values as you for cholesterol and triglycerides and he eats pretty well and has not taken medication for anything - still doesn't for the cholesterol. He was able to drop the cholesterol to about 225 by exercising (apparently) & avoiding sweets seems to be the key to keeping his triglycerides down. They still are not under 200 though.

For what it's worth, I've heard from other people who say their doctors say that Lipitor is the best drug for cholesterol control. It's what they put my dad on after his heart attack (top notch doctors from world renowned clinic...).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Maia,
Thank you for the response it helps to know there is others in my boat and some do not even have Lupus.
((((( Hugs)))))
Denise:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tri's & HDL

I have been fighting high tri's for years and also have very low HDL. Dr. has be now taking Omega 3 Fatty Acid capsules, 4000 mg a day. My Test 6months ago showed a good decrease in tri's but no change in the HDL.
Test a couple of weeks ago showed tri's increased again from 151 to 175, and that darn HDL is still under 35. I had been on statin drug (Zocor) for about 8 years and then they came out with generic and my insurance company would no longer pay for zocor, so had to use the generic and within a few days of changing to the generic, I started getting really bad lower back pain, and was even having problems getting out of bed. Because of my complaints, my cardioligist suggested going off the statins. The pain was gone in 3 days. Because of my stents, Dr. said I had to be on some sort of medication, so put me on Zetia. Well, needless to say, because the numbers went up again,so he put me on statins again (provostatin) in a smaller dose and am taking co-enzyme Q10 with it. So Far no, no bad back pain.
We will see what the next test says in a couple of months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts