The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....can anyone help answer a couple of questions?...:).......the call from lupus clinic said i had rather high liver enzym results..as i have been having gall stone probs...scan soon....would this make the result high......? or are they not connected.....nurse said ;liver isnt one of the organs that lupus affects...i have to have anothe lot of bloods next week......any answers would be great.......jane.:wink2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Jane,

i have been reported to have high enzymes in my liver as well. Prior to being dx'ed for lupus i had no liver issues at all.
I believe it is the pressure from having to digest all these pills.

Point i'm trying to make is don't worry. The fact they are checking so frequently says you are in good hands.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Jane,

Sorry about this additional worry.

The nurse is not quite correct when she says lupus doesn't affect the liver. Liver involvement is not very common, but it is quite possible. Personally before my diagnosis I had for a while significantly elevated liver enzymes. After starting Aza I was a bit worried that maybe it woyud stress out my liver, but to the contrary, for the first time in nearly 10 years I even have a normal bilirubin. So for me, it is autoimmune in some way, and according to the antibodies not PBC.

It could of course also be related to your gall stone disease, especialy if there is some obstruction to the bile ducts. Are there plans to opperate or try to blast the stones away?

Either way, hopefullt St Thommies will investigate and get to an answer for you.

X C X

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Gallstone, medication (especially methotrexate and Tylenol products), and SLE itself are all possibilities. Autoimmune hepatitis is another thing to consider. Best of luck with that gallbladder problem and hope this gets figured out and dealt with quickly. Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi,
i just had a episode of fever for 21 days strait, then my ankles swelled and my liver test came back very elevated, my gp immediately took me off cholesterol med, ( I was on no other meds) I was sent to the rheum and he considers it a lupus flare possibly which I have never had before. ( I basically have only had discoid lupus) So they dont know positively if it was lupus or the generic zocor inflaming my liver, They aimed at lupus since my sed rate was up and smooth muscle test ( whatever that is) was 12, ( should be 35 or higher) and the fever was on going for so long. I am finally felling better the fever gone and my ankles are normal and liver enzymes are normal now. I am going to start imuran now. I also thought wouldnt this drug make my liver act up again? anyway i guess ill give it a shot it might help my discoid spots get better, and i have been putting it off for the past 2 years,,

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi......many thanks to you all abt the advise and support....:)...........i am waiting for a ultra scan to be done on gallbladder...:rolleyes:....and more bloods next week...
I am not on any meds at the moment either....havent been for a year now....as they said i no longer needed them...hmmm....i shall keep you up to date......thanks again.....jane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.